I nearly got run over today.

Just as I took one step off the gutter to cross the road, some TOOL decided to use the cycle/parking lane to overtake on the inside, missing me by inches. One more step I was dead for sure. veryangry veryangry veryangry

Why are there so many selfish arseholes on this planet?

Neck Nock!! Even less chance of a vehicle in the wee small hours! I, as a rule, when driving down that way, avoid the main drag of the old Cesspool.

People can be so inconsiderate and so stupid when they are behind the wheel of a car!! Pedestrians do not regenerate when you progress to the next level PEOPLE! THIS is not a game!!

Teaching my son to drive has given me a new understanding of how many idiots are on the road, and how many inconsiderate arseholes too.

Glad you are safe Mantas!

Those A-holes are called "Mr Wheelers" - the above clip is a legendary 1950 Disney critique on drivers featuring a mild mannered 'Mr Walker' who when behind the wheel becomes 'Mr Wheeler'.

Amazingly still so very true nearly 60 years since its release.

We all know these Wheeler types, they infest society.

That clip is very true SG. Unfortunately I can't see the funny side of it at the moment.

Whilst I'm venting, what is the attraction with cars in general. Fast cars, racing cars, drag cars, shiny cars, expensive cars.....I just don't get it.

To me a car is a chunk of steel and plastic that gets you from A to B. Nothing more. I don't understand the prestige and social status that goes along with owning a particular type of car.

They are a necessary evil. Noisy, polluting contraptions that claim the lives people, many of them innocent. The phrase Motor sport is an oxymoron in itself. How the hell can that be classed as a sport. 'Wow what a tremendous display of ankle strength on the accelerator there.'

Why do we need anything nice Mantas? Why do we need big houses? Why do we need fancy clothes, jewelery, and any number of other things which define social status? Of course we don't need these things but a large portion of people out there appear to need to define themselves by the things they own. It's just human nature...

And c'mon car racing is an awesome sport. Watching man and machine pushing the limits, defying death at every turn is about as exciting as any sport can get! Not that into myself but I can see the appeal. Now synchronised swimming on the other hand is a 'sport' that I just don't really get.

Speed - the thrill of going fast - the urge to push yourself and your body to it's limits.

Also when you see the regime the drivers go through, and the g's they put themselves through, as well as their endurance levels too, gotta give them some respect.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Why do we need anything nice Mantas? Why do we need big houses? Why do we need fancy clothes, jewelery, and any number of other things which define social status? Of course we don't need these things but a large portion of people out there appear to need to define themselves by the things they own. It's just human nature...

Big houses, jewelery and fancy clothes don't kill people or pollute the environment like cars do. The whole car culture here in Oz is out of hand. Every week teenagers are killed in acts of car stupidity, often killing inocents as well. Why do they feel compelled to carry out such dangerous activities? Because they are morons? Sure. But it's largely due to the hero worship and idolization of all things to do with cars.
I don't know wich part of Oz you come from GN but in some places your measure of manhood and social status is directly proportional to how much rubber you can burn at the traffic lights or who you can beat in a street race.

As for motor racing, I find it as boring as bat shit. Sure maybe I don't give those guys as much respect as they deserve. I was mainly talking about rediculous activities like a burn out competition where the winner is picked almost entirely by the level of polution he creates.

On the subject of nice, I like those things for myself not for social status stuff which I hope I'm not really bothered about. Perhaps I am really just don't know it.