Yep definitely - and make sure you get the edges done too. Didn't do my new one last year as was saving, and really regretted it. Halfway through the season, got it done and it felt smoother and more responsive and actually cost more as there was a back log of people wanting it done.

Originally Posted By: Red Dog
well do i?

if possible, have them teach you how to do it so you can save the money from here out. Much better doing it yourself and will save you heaps of money in the long run.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Yep definitely - and make sure you get the edges done too.

Why would you need to get edges done on a new board? confused

There is a contrarian opinion out there. Run a Google search on Leonid Kuzmin. This guy published a doctoral thesis on his investigation of this very question and he answered it with a resounding "No". His wife even won some Olympic medal without wax. The argument is that P-Tex is already the perfect surface to glide on and does not degrade. Wax, on the other hand, degrades quickly and also may retain dirt on the surface of your board, thereby slowing you down. Apparently, the manufacturers of P-Tex confirm this and have been doing so for decades. They have nothing to gain from this financially since wax sales do not impact P-Tex sales. Wax manufacturers' very existence is obviously threatened by this opinion so they have every incentive to suppress this and ridicule it.

I really don't know what to believe. So I will put it to the test this season. I will try to compare without (first) and then with under as equal conditions as I can get them. I will measure temperature and I will time myself on the same run several times each. If the difference is minimal or even in favour of not waxing, then we might as well save ourselves the hassle.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Why would you need to get edges done on a new board? confused

The one thing I'd look at edge-wise would be to make sure the tip and tail edges have been detuned far back enough so they don't catch on the hard flats. All of my new boards were pretty sharp all the way around.

I'd go to Hard Off or some other used shop and buy an iron, some wax, a brush and scraper and keep your board waxed. It's not hard to do and in my opinion your board performance will be better....and keep the rails sharp.

Aloha!

Originally Posted By: Kintaro
I'd go to Hard Off or some other used shop and buy an iron, some wax, a brush and scraper and keep your board waxed. It's not hard to do and in my opinion your board performance will be better....and keep the rails sharp.

Aloha!

+1