Ocean/Bad/Miltie,

Greetings and update!

My hardboots arrived yesterday. Went to Jinbocho this afternoon and found/bought a pair of SnowPro Fast step-in bindings at JPY13,000.

Spent about half an hour changing the soles of the boots and set up the bindings. It is all ready to go!

Miltie, thanks for your advice again. It has helped me a lot in making the choice. Any advice on dos and don'ts on the first day of alpine boarding?

Thanks very much everyone for your info and advice.

Bestest,

Siren

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I thought it was a steal. The bindings set came with the soles that replace the ones on the boots as well.

It is not the best looking set but if you compare that with the U.S.$300 (plus shipping) for a new Bomber TD step-in, it is obviously good value. As a beginner, the possible difference in performance doesn't bother me that much. It is more important for me to get the whole package first and if I want, I can replace any of the items later.

There are also other bargain items (last year models) going for JPY17,000 to JPY20,000.

Siren,

Sounds like you scored a smokin' deal on the bindings. I used to have a few sets of non-step-in SnowPros. They are good quality so you done well!

Advice about your first day.....

First - just take a few easy runs to get used to the feeling of having a different set-up. You will probably feel very confined at first. Remember to keep your weight forward or over the centerline of the board (on the balls of your feet). If you lean back too far your quads will be roasted in a few runs. Try setting the foward lean on your boots to the middle setting (setting 3 on Raichle SBs).

Second - get the feeling of going from edge to edge. The board you have is fairly narrow so it will seem much quicker than a freeride board.

Third - work on setting the edges by lean or tilt the board up a little more than normal. This is tough at first. You will probably catch a few edges but keep on it. A lot of the movement needed will have to come from your legs.

Forth - Take it easy and don't try to force things. You have to relax and just have fun with it.

One question.. have you detuned the edges of your board front and rear? This will help prevent catching edges. The edges on a new board are usually razor sharp. Let me know if you have questions about this.

Last - I would recommend to take your freeride set-up to ride in the afternoon. Your legs will probably be very tired afterwards. Riding your freeride gear will seam easy.

Gambare!!!!

Miltie

Kelvin, thanks! I'll bookmark that and bear it in mind. Miltie has kindly fixed me up with my first board, so I'm sorted for the moment in the board department.

Do you have one of their boards?

Siren, where did you get your bindings? Can you post any details of the shop that you might have?

Thanks...

Greetings Miltie/Ocean!

Miltie - many thanks for the first-day tips. I will print out a copy of the message and bring with me on my first trip! I understand the theory of changing edge before the fall-line and have been trying to visualise the movement but it is still a scary thought. I have not detuned the board yet but will go out and get a soft stone next week or so - have to wax my freeride board too for the powder day.

Ocean,

The shop is called Himaraya (I might have said 'Minami' in my messages above). You can find the address in the webpage below:

http://www.himaraya.co.jp/shop/index.html

The alpine section is in the back building (二号館2/F)

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Bestest,

Siren

By the by, here is a pic of the Snow-Pro bindings

http://snowpro.de/

(go to "products 2003", "hard step-in" and it is the one on the left).

Catek's ones are also quite nice and slightly cheaper than Bomber's (not clear how much the shipping is though).

http://www.catek.com/products.htm#

The release mechanism for Snowpro is in the bindings, unlike Bomber or Catek where it is built in the heels

How did you know!!?!

I have been wearing them - you know - just to get used to them. My cats are absolutely fascinated.

Wish you success in getting your 'quiver' together soon.

Siren

• 4 weeks later...

Right well, I finally got to the shop that does hard boots, and they seem pretty switched on. The boss of the shop is a qualified fitter, apparently.

He told me that Head boots are the shape that fit the Japanese foot best, and capitalizing on this, Head have started designing boots in Japan and manufacturing them in Germany. He reckons my feet, being wide and high, are rather typical of Japanese feet, so Head might be good. He's going to see if he can get some of last year's models in my size.

Two things put me off slightly. The price of the boots at 68,000 yen, and the colour, bright orange. Otherwise they looked cool.

The shop was doing unfair things like showing carving videos while I was trying on the boots.

Indeed!

Ocean, it seems that Bomber is still offering the Deeluxe SB series at U.S.$199. One alternative would be to check your boot size and order online. The shipping should be around U.S.$25. If you order now, it should arrive in good time.

Siren, thanks for the heads up.

This looks promising!

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/raichle_sb_213.cfm

boot_raichle_sb213_med.jpg

How many buckles did you get?

Did you cook your liners yourself?

When you measure your foot according to this you can either put the pencil right under your foot (so it tickles!), or more roughly around perimeter. This gives a slight difference in size. How did you deal with that?

I've got a pair of them! lol.gif

I'm "keeping" them for my brother-in-law, along with his board, a snow skate, and some snowblades (!) that he insisted on me taking. His feet fit in the boots, but his calves are a real squeeze and he says it hurts when he turns. They fit me and my skinny calves really well \:D .

The board is a Rossi and it's about 155. The board and the snowblades have similar bindings that fit the boots.

I'm more interested in tele than alpine boarding, but it's another thing to play on all the same.

Hi Ocean,

Yeah I think the price Bomber offers is more reasonable (i.e. if you are a beginner and you make a mistake, it won't be the end of the world). There is also a Japanese brand called G-Style (http://www.nara-sp.co.jp/36ki/HP/G-style-top.htm) which is sold in many shops in Tokyo but not cheap either. Note they also make step-in bindings

I got a three-buckle pair as I read somewhere that they will give you more support/comfort as more adjustments can be made.

I think thermal liners don't come with the SB series (mine don't have them) but you can purchase them. I decided not to worry too much about them until I have had a chance to try them out in the snow. If I need more comfort, I will get the thermal liners later.

So basically I just tried out the boots in the shop, found the pair I was most comfortable with, noted the boot Mondo size and use the number.

I don't know for sure but I don't think you need to worry too much about where to place the pencil as you still need to round up to a whole number. If you get two possible measurements, I suppose you need to take the larger one.

Good luck and feel free to revert of course.

Hey Ocean,

Siren is on the mark. I had a pair of 3 buckle SB124's which were similar. The SB213 or SB222 would be great boots for starting out. A little more forgiving than the 4 buckle design. Plus at $50 they are a smoking deal. Even the SB413's (4 buckle) Bomber has are a deal.

Also, most of the SB series boots come with standard liners (no baking necessary). Have had great luck with the standard liners over the years.

Just for your reference... My foot measures 26 cm and I use both 26 or 26.5 sizes.

If Bomber has your size, you might consider to give it a shot.

Gambare!

Miltie, I checked that link, and it seems to conflict with what it says on Bomber; "To find your Mondo size, place your foot on a piece of paper and mark your longest toe and heel. Measure this distance in Centimeters (inches X 2.54). This is your Mondo size." Whereas Bomber suggests that the Mondo size is the size in cm, REI suggests that there is some conversion involved.

If I go by Bomber, those boots would fit me. But if I go by REI, they would be 2 sizes too small (I take a US 10/10.5).

Have you found that REI chart to be reliable then?

Thanks!

Hi Ocean,

I can't answer your question re measurement but when I tried out the boots in the store, there were two figures given on the boots. I stupidly assumed that the smaller one is the US size and the other the 'mondo' size. I used the 'mondo' size to order the boots from Bomber and it turned out to be fine.

Let's see what Miltie has to say.

Siren

Ocean,

The info on the REI site fits with my foot situation. I have approximately 26 cm feet and use 8.5 street shoes and usually wear Mondo 26.5.

If I go by the Bomber info, I should use a Mondo 26 since my foot is 26 cm long.

As mentioned before, I have Mondo 26 and 26.5 Raichle boots. Both seem to fit OK. Maybe I'm just weird or something.

What does you foot measure out to in inches or cm. if you use the Bomber method?