I often find myself shouting angrily at cyclists who either a) cycle together, all 3 of them, taking up most of the road and/or B) cycling on the wrong side of the road.

Then I was thinking, is it the wrong side of the road. For me, the right side of the road would be on the left. Same as the cars. But lots of people here seem to come at you on the left.

?

Yeah you get used to it after a while. They have no road sense here at all, always cutting corners and always cycling down the wrong side towards on coming trafic.

But you are right they should cycle the same way as the cars, but they don't!

It is because there are no cycling proficiency course in schools here unlike we have back home, so the kids learn all the parents bad habits and so it continues.

I saw one idiot come flying down a wet road in Tokyo a couple of days ago on the wrong side, crossing over the zebra crossing when it was red for him. Needless to say he hit the deck pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: snowbender
I often find myself shouting angrily at cyclists who either a) cycle together, all 3 of them, taking up most of the road
?

Down here the law states that cyclists (and tanks, horse and cart, wheelchair, moonbuggy......) are entitled to take the whole lane if needed. Selfish and dangerous yes but within the law.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: snowbender
I often find myself shouting angrily at cyclists who either a) cycle together, all 3 of them, taking up most of the road
?

Down here the law states that cyclists (and tanks, horse and cart, wheelchair, moonbuggy......) are entitled to take the whole lane if needed. Selfish and dangerous yes but within the law.

Actually Mantas, it's more often than not much safer to take the whole lane than to ride in the curb and hope people don't squeeze you into the gutter or cut you off when they decide to drive into a service station driveway. The more visible a cyclist is, the safer he is, and there is nothing more visible than riding directly in front of someone in their lane.

Cheers - Snowy

Thats a good point.

What I'm always scared of is the old ojisans and obasans who seem to have no control over their bikes wobbling all over the place and then suddenly deciding to turn left without warning. Always give them good space!