OK I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting an ETC thingy in my car. I don't use expressways that much but it would probably pay for itself fairly soon. Looks like it'll cost me about 2 man to get the machine and set up etc.

Anyone here use ETC? Glad you went with it? What card do you use? Thinking of just phoning up Visa and getting one...

ETC is great, the best thing is it saves time going thru gates. But on top of that it saves gas and you get unexpected discounts all the time.

Its not so easy to get an ETC card though as a gaijin, your best bet is to try and get it added to your existing JP credit card if you have one.

I think the machines cost around 11000yen including installation.

It has to be connected to your visa card so if you have a J-visa it shouldn't be a problem. The cheapest machines are just under 8000yen in autobacs. Not syre about installation so Bobby 12's price seems about right. The cheap ones have a tiny display and don't speak to you but they do the job.

Absolutely worth getting, so much easier and lots of random discounts. Most highways give a percentage off at night for etc too.

Originally Posted By: thursday
it's a shame you have to fork out for these devices.

Here we just use a tag, the radio readers are at the toll boothes whille we drive through.

I thought the same when it came out Thursday.
Glad mine was already in my car when I bought it.

Tags would be too simple an option...

The kind ETC lady kept on telling me that I didn't have a card in the machine so I had to turn her off.

If I use the expressway when the discount times are in effect or some offers on, does she say the normal price or is she clever and able to tell me the discounted cost?