I intimated this in another thread, but here goes.

To my knowledge there are no certified guides operating in the Niseko Resort Area. If someone can let me know that there are certified guides (UIAGM, IFMGA) in the area then I would be grateful. And I will sit corrected.

There are many that call themselves guides because they have one, some or all of the following:

Ski / Snowboard Instructor Certification

CPR Certification

Wilderness First Aid Certification

Avalanche Forecasting Certification

Experience skiing / riding in the Niseko Resort Area

Member of the Niseko Mountain Guide Association

But even with all of the above that does not make you a guide. There are so many additional skills and certifications that are needed.

I'm pretty anal about the whole guide thing, as many UK resort hosts working for UK tour operators classify themselves as guides when in fact they are ski hosts showing people around the pisted areas of a resort.

Qualifying as a guide is a huge achievement.

OK rant over, yep that's pretty much the going rate.

PS I'm not a guide. But I wish I was good enough to become one.

Thanks for the reply Mike and I totally agree with you about the significant achievement should someone be skilled and experienced enough to be awared with a UIAGM badge. I have done a lot of mountaineering in the European Alps, South America, Africa and elsewhere where I come across genuine guides i.e. UIAGM.

I suppose that for the purpose of this thread I am referring to "guides" who are familiar with the Niseko powder locations as well as being a skilled skier with avalanche training and experience.

Is 44,000Yen a fair price for 4hrs of private "guiding"?

Thanks again.

Thanks bellavista.

I am aware of these guys and heard nothing but good things. This is the standard that Niseko companies should be aiming for.

Hornster,

You may be better placed booking a 4-hr advanced lesson and then if your instructor thinks you're up to it have him/her show you the goods. Don't know if that will work out cheaper but worth looking into.

Plus with all the companies it may be worth asking how long the instructor has been in the area.

Originally Posted By: Hornster
What is the going rate for 4hrs of private powder guiding in Niseko these days?

One guiding company has quoted me 44,000Yen!!

is private powder guiding the same as backcountry guiding?

No problem, once the PM's are back up will send through the info. I can tell ya that the guiding i am refering to is backcountry, some areas accessed by lift or others by good old hard work. Depends on the type of trip you want to do.

cheers

For newcomers the PM's need to be switched on. I do not think the process is automated. I will 'notify' your post now, which will give SJForums/SJ#1 or one of the others the heads up that people are after PM privaleges.

The philosphy here is "ask (nicely) and ye shall recieve"! wave

Thanks Mamabear!

1000 yen is now pretty steep fo us UK based urchins!

to clarify, i will be looking for some "guiding" for one or two half day sessions on a hunt for the best pwder in the area. We only have 6 days in Niseko before heading off for the same in Hakuba so need to make the best of the time we are there.

Originally Posted By: thursday
there used to be a place in the heart of Niseko where you could get 10 bowls of ramen for 1000 Yen. Ah.. those were the days.

10 bowls of ramen for 1000yen

i think you mean
theres a 100 yen shop where you can buy 10 ramen bowls for 1000yen wink
  • 2 months later...
Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: thursday
there used to be a place in the heart of Niseko where you could get 10 bowls of ramen for 1000 Yen. Ah.. those were the days.

10 bowls of ramen for 1000yen

i think you mean
theres a 100 yen shop where you can buy 10 ramen bowls for 1000yen wink

NOPE, exactly as quoted. There used to ba a 100yen noodle shop in Niseko. They would sell you a basic noodle feed for 100 yen - as I was taught maths, that means you could buy 10 bowls for 1000 yen.