Do you think this plan has any loopholes?

1. Buy the day pass w/ JR for say, Dec. 7th: roundtrip shinkansen (Tokyo to Nagano) + shuttle bus (Nagano to Hakuba) + 1 day lift tix at Hakuba 47. Early season package price: 11,400 yen

2. Go up to Hakuba on the night of Dec. 5th by buying a separate 1-way shink from Tokyo to Nagano (8,000 yen) + shuttle bus to Hakuba (1,400 yen). Stay overnight in Hakuba.

3. Buy separate lift tix for Dec. 6th for Hakuba 47. Ride all day. Whee! Stay overnight in Hakuba.

4. Use pre-purchased JR lift tix for Hakuba 47. Ride all day. Whee! Use pre-purchased JR tix for shuttle bus + shinkansen back to Tokyo.

Buying everything a la carte:

16,000 yen (roundtrip shinkansen)

2,800 yen (roundtrip shuttle bus)

8,000 yen (2 day lift tix)

= 27,000 yen

Buying JR pre-purchase (and use only one-way) + a la carte one-way =

11,400 yen (JR package)

8,000 yen (shinkansen one way)

1,400 yen (shuttle bus one way)

4,500 yen (lift tix)

=25,300

All for a savings of 300 yen. Just kidding, it would save about 2,000 yen. Basically, the point is to stay in Hakuba 3 days, instead of one.

Cant see a problem with it. You could even try to use your outgoing shinkansen ticket you bought in the package and sit in the non-reserved section - you might still be able to use it in the non-reserved, even if its for a different day. If it doesnt work, just go and buy a ticket.

I honestly dont understand why JR dont do the same deals for two, or three day trips - Hakuba is do-able in a day trip from Tokyo, but its a bit far really.

Gary, shinkansen tickets (especially discounted ones) are always dated for specific days of travel, so your idea would run into a fatal flaw at Tokyo Station's ticket gate.

I see no reason why Snotrag's idea wouldn't work - as as far as we know, the use of the discounted shink tickets is not recorded in order to validate the use of the lift passes. I think the point is that unless you can stay for free in Hakuba, usually buying a multi-day JR package with accommodation will be considerably cheaper than doing it separately - even if you stay at a backpackers and have a sandwich for dinner, which doesn't sound like much fun anyway.

For example - I had a one-night stay (Saturday night) with my girlfriend in Hakuba last season by shinkansen with transfers, 2-day lift pass, hotel, dinner, bed and breakfast for about 27,000 per person (if I remember correctly). The hotel was a bit shabby but it had an o-furo (so no traipsing around looking for onsens after skiing) and the food was excellent. The only extra was alcohol.

So in summary - I'd say take a look at the JR accomodation package deal prices before you decide. They are often hard to beat.

Hi snotrag. Great name!

Early season lift tix are normally discounted and shouldn't cost 4500 a day. For what is open so far, I would guess Happo over 47.

We're still on the offseason timetable, but the last bus to Tokyo from Hakuba leaves at 4.30pm and gets in around 9pm. If going back on a Sunday especially, ask them about possible delays if you have major connections to make in Tokyo, because the roads get jammed up. Its 4500 one way, about half the price of the Shinkansen and shuttle.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/express/hakuba_shinjuku/index_e.html

If you're staying the night before your first day on the slopes, the bus both ways would save you more. Last one from Shinjuku is 6pm.

Pray for snow!