I'm wondering if it will be worth going to Rusutsu tomorrow. Their website is pretty lame. One cam shows white trees and another shows no improvement on a big bare patch.

Today's snow seems to have been a bit patchy and wind-affected in the region. Niseko sounds like it got plenty, and I heard Kokusai had 10-15cm of fresh. Not much has settled on the ground in Sapporo, but I saw some cars go past with a good 15cm on the roof.

Any first or second hand reports on Rusutsu would be much appreciated.

lol

Top shelf there, 2pints. Did you buy anything?

I've decided to go anyway. I'll stop asking questions and start answering them. I'll be on the first Donan Flyer for a sunny day on the fresh, if the white blanket here in Sapporo is anything to go by.

Well, I'm happy to report that I just got back from a sensational day of fresh powder and only a dozen or so other punters on Mount Isola at Rusutsu! There was about 12-15cm of fresh from Sunday arvo/night and it was light and dry up top. It was a bit heavier lower down, but still heaps of fun. There was enough of a base to make low-key powder poaching forays just off the edges of the pistes, and only the odd few sticks showing a few inches above the surface on the runs. Steamboat A and B were the only runs open but they were more than enough for me. So looong! Unreal. Big back-leg burn.

I'm afraid I have no pics to offer because just as I grabbed the camera at about 3:30 they pulled the roller-door down on the Steamboat Quad! Spewing. I guess that's what the pile of Japanese writing before the '15:30' said in huge letters on the restaurant window. Gotta learn some characters.

I'm stoked! banner

I just want to be one of the smiling Japanese staff at the resort up there at the moment, standing in groups chatting and getting paid to do nada. I guess it all turns sour later when the snow is up to the second storey and they're serving toast.