Originally Posted By: keba
For the information of others, with JAL, it's called the "OneWorld Yokoso Japan Fare", 10000Y/sector, if you have international flight with a OneWorld Airline. If not, there is the "Welcome to Japan Fare" for 13000Y/sector, with no restriction on international airline. There is information on their web page, but you need to book with JAL at an office or by phone, as you said, and only outside of Japan.

There might be different fares the yokoso fare I got - blackout period start from 6 March - is 26000 for two sectors.
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
NAB yes.

CBA no. They were in town today.

That's good to hear. Were they skiing or handing out money?

Not exactly handing out money, but fielding applications to possibly hand out money at a later date.

Loving that the financiers needed to visit the region to make their decision... i'm sure that they flew business class, and are currently on the mountain taking private all day lessons 'for the sake of better understanding the market' or something like that...
shifty
Originally Posted By: macmeh
NAB yes.

CBA no. They were in town today.

That's good to hear. Were they skiing or handing out money?

Not exactly handing out money, but fielding applications to possibly hand out money at a later date.

Loving that the financiers needed to visit the region to make their decision... i'm sure that they flew business class, and are currently on the mountain taking private all day lessons 'for the sake of better understanding the market' or something like that...
shifty

Came up from Tokyo. Met with all the real estate companies in town. Went back to Tokyo. All business, no pleasure.
There might be different fares the yokoso fare I got - blackout period start from 6 March - is 26000 for two sectors.

So they're still available during the 'black-out' periods, but with an increased fare?
  • 1 month later...

Overall I don't think numbers haven't really dropped from last year but there was a massive increase in the amount of accommodation available so occupancy levels have been down in many properties. People definitely haven't had as much disposable income whilst here and many bars and restaurants have had much reduced revenue compared to last season.

Sales of property have reduced to near nothing and many projects that were earmarked for the coming summer will be put on hold. We've already seen many companies reduce their staff numbers including plenty of full timers. Definitely some harder times ahead...

It will be interesting to see how the property thing plays out. Will people hold or try to off load? The locals who have watched how the place has developed in the last 5 years must be thinking I told you so! Buying in at a premium only to have the market turn means an investor could be holding for quite a few years before the market comes back. The people who really must be kicking themselves are the locals who bought during the Japanese property bubble and held on for too long during this boom and now have missed the chance to cash in.

I think everyone is surprised at just how quickly the global economy is unravelling.

And not a government in the world has any idea of how to stop it. That's the down-side of having a free-market economy. They don't have the regulatory legislation in place to take over when the market is in free-fall, and handing out millions (or billions) of dollar/pound/yen in "stimulus" packages does nothing but lift confidene for a day or two, then back to the slide. Americans are so afraid of "big government", too, that the legislators won't even step up to the plate to do anything. Poor Obama, he's not going to have a fun first term.

Just back from our third year in Niseko and noticed that the restaurants were notably quieter this year.

Bang Bang for example was v quiet on one of the nights we ate there (the food was still excellent though), and all the other restaurants we ate at we able to secure bookings except a bu cha, which was booked out for 3 weeks in advance (and quite arrogant about it)

the mountain though (and seico mart) seemed as busy as usual

The oysters at Bang Bang are just great. Looking forward to it. And Bang Bang Japanese owner, I'm the one with an SJ sticker on my forehead and a D700 on my eye. So no more telling me to come back tomorrow at 9pm.