It was just on the news today here that it has been particularly cold up in Hokkaido today.... down to -20C in some places that is very unusual for November.

Got your woolies on?

Any Hokkaido weathermen know how this week's weather forecast is going to transpire in the hills? I want to go to Rusutsu this weekend and I'm hoping the three days of rain that we've got forecast here in Sapporo will make it out to Rusutsu as snow and that they'll open some more lifts. Rusutsu's site doesn't give a forecast. Any idea about where I can access freezing level info? Or should I just go by the vibes of my ceramic jaw and titanium pelvis?

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I take it the houses on Hokks are properly insulated etc, with multiple glazing the norm.....right?

We wish.

Bloody rubbish standard of build in my experience - 5 houses.

You are shitting me!!! veryshocked

I would've thought that up there where they actually get arctic like weather then the housing regs would be up to scratch....makes me feel a tiny bit better living here where it is a bit warmer

insulation and toothbrushes - why the aversion Japan? they are both useful things that improve our lives...

I thought at the very least Hokkers would have some a little more than the norm, but no? wow that is surprising!

My friend in the Yukon has walls in his house 2 feet thick!

I think Japan is the only country in the world where the houses are colder inside than it is outside.

Even in Tokyo where the winters are mild, the houses are still freezing cold at night, despite not being that cold outside.

Don't some of the houses up in Hokkaido have central heating? Has that old technology not reached Japan yet?

Lol, my house too in summer, actually it's like a fridge in summer. But don't you feel that the houses here are roasting hot in summer because they let all the heat in during summer and freezing cold in winter, because they let all the cold in?

Originally Posted By: SG
insulation and toothbrushes - why the aversion Japan? they are both useful things that improve our lives...

I thought at the very least Hokkers would have some a little more than the norm, but no? wow that is surprising!
My friend in the Yukon has walls in his house 2 feet thick!

I was mentally prepared to shiver all winter and pay a fortune for heating in my hastily thrown-together Leopalace here in Sapporo. Apparently they knock them together in around two months. But I've been pleasantly surprised. I've only been using an electric blower heater and the place holds its warmth pretty well. I turn the heater off at night. The apartments below and next door are vacant too, so it's even more surprising.