Hi Matt

Back on topic, Ger is I think on the money for your situation. Layering up is the most versatile option. Cotton is out as it ends up wet so start with a wicking synthetic T shirt or thermal next to skin and/or a thin wool or polyester long sleeve if you feel the cold. Then a fleece and a breathable shell on top. You can omit one of the two inner layers if it's not that cold and you can unzip the fleece if you get hot on the mountain too. A neck fleece is handy for windy days on the chairlift.

All layers can be used for other non-skiing situations so you're not buying a thick ski jacket you can't use anytime else. I spent quite a bit on the goretex type jacket and 15 years on I'm still using it (also handy for rainy days in Aus). You'll find you're working quite hard as a beginner so I don't think cold is going to be a big issue. Get ready to be hooked! Hope the AUD is at a better rate by the time you go.

Spending serious money really realy isn't necessary when learning to ski. You don't "need" a gortex jacket - just something breathable and windproof. Snow isn't wet so why wear a waterproof? A lot of older ski jackets aren't waterproof and, guess what, a lot of the newer high-end soft shells arn't either.

Thermals are a must plus one or two fleeces. IMHO there is very little performance difference between different thermals / fleeces but there is a big difference in durability. So if it's just a two week holiday then get cheap fleeces and bin them if they are knackered. Wool / merino is superior and lasts forever - but costs. Good gloves, or even better mitts plus a thin inner glove are key plus a neck tube.

There is a huge amount a marketting BS around snow wear but you can keep it simple by remembering a couple of points - don't get wet (sweating), cotton is rotton and always wear layers.

Hope this might help save some cash for the beers

Hugh

I am a big fan of a few thinner layers. I normally wear a Polyprop thermal (these are pretty cheap), then a long sleeve T-Shirt made of breathable material (like a cycling shirt), then a heavy Merino layer (320G for me, but that will be different for some).....if it is really really cold I add another merino layer.....then a goretex type shell jacket (not necessarily goretex, but a three layer laminate jacket, these last waaaay longer than DWR treated jackets, they are just material with a waterproof treatment sprayed on.)

Hope the jacket speak wasn't too techo. biggrin

Edit: I recommend a waterproof jacket, just in case it rains, plus you can wear it in oz when it is wet.

Whoa this thread exploded in the space of a day...

Neck warmers and thermals are not expensive, just the specific stuff (jacket, pants, goggles and gloves...and I have gloves already)

I've pretty planned on buying a thinner/medium insulated water proof jacket and supplimenting it with synthetic thermals. I'll just wear a thin jumper or something if its really cold. Same goes for the pants. Basically its easier to warm up more I figure...

Having been born in South Africa, and then living in Brisbane for the better part of 19 years I do feel the cold a fair bit. However I still like the idea of layered wear because if I get too hot I sweat alot and that would suck as well. I'm in a no win situation basically.

We would buy our gear in Japan if it was cheaper but I'm one of those people that likes to be prepaired and rocking up in Hakuba without any gear on a ski trip disagrees with me so badly its not funny lol.

I've been into snowbiz here in Brisbane about 3 times already and every time I spend about an hour mucking about with jackets and pants. No idea what I'm going to do when I actually have the cash to blow!

Hopefully the guy down the Gold Coast can really help me. So much easier in person.

EDIT: and we're not rich....but saving $100 a week for one year is not too difficult by my standards lol.

I bought a new snow jacket on sale last summer. It was a bargain; a Burton gortex shell. So now same set up as my hiking gear;

Layer 1: Helly Hansen Lifa base layer.

Layer 2: thin fleece layer with full length zip.

Layer 3: Gortex shell.

If very cold I'll add a fleece gilet and a thermal skull cap that'll fit under my helmet. Also a fleece neck warmer is a must for keeping face and neck warm. I also wear a set of helly hansen lifa leggings under my snow trousers. Helly Hansen thermals are worth the investment, mine are still going strong 4 years later (I also use them for mountain biking so they have had constant use)

Layers give you much more flexibility and the shell is much more useable. My old jacket was insulated and I only used it in the depths of winter; the shell will get used when its not so cold.

Maybe it's just that I'm very atsugari or something, but usually I just were a t-shirt, a pullover or fleece top then my ski jacket ski trousers, glove and hat, and that is more than enough, by the time I get my boots on skis clipped on I am already nice and warm.

Once my t-shirt gets to wet, I change it usually when I have a break or stop for lunch.

Not sure whether that is the best thing to do, but that is what I do, never really needed much gear on even in a blizzard.

At the moment, a lot of winter sports stores in Japan are having sales (largely 'cause no one's buying and they gotta find a way to pay their employees) but with the exchange rate, I wouldn't know if it's cheaper or not.

I went to the Gold Coast SnowBiz shop and didn't find anything I liked or anything that struck me as being really cheap. I found that there's a number of snow-sports shops in Brisbane... unfortunately, I don't remember their addresses.

I think, generally speaking, with the exchange rates there wasn't much of a difference... but if you're looking for snowboards, I found the boards at a few Brissie shops to be heaps cheaper razz. Either way, that's just my 2c of info that, when summed up, means "I have nothing useful to say" ^^;

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Maybe it's just that I'm very atsugari or something, but usually I just were a t-shirt, a pullover or fleece top then my ski jacket ski trousers, glove and hat, and that is more than enough, by the time I get my boots on skis clipped on I am already nice and warm.
Once my t-shirt gets to wet, I change it usually when I have a break or stop for lunch.

Not sure whether that is the best thing to do, but that is what I do, never really needed much gear on even in a blizzard.

that teeshirt getting wet will freeze you.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Originally Posted By: snowdude

that teeshirt getting wet will freeze you.

Which is why if If my t-shirt gets too wet I change into a clean one, which is also a good time to have a break.