Got up at 5am, left the house at 5:30, got to the mountain at 7:20. Fattwins and Dizzy were already lined up so I joined them and got blocked from the first gondola by an incompetent liftie. Rejoined them at the top for first Alpen chair of the 08-09 season. Waist-deep pow conditions but I was super nervous, having decided to Noboard my first run. Fattwins and Dizzy went left and I went right, alone to take the Kurobishi first tracks. I dropped in fast and found that all my summer indoboarding, as well as studying Johan's part in Aesthetica, had really paid off. I flowed through the turns, surfing rather than snowboarding. Then I stopped concentrating and found myself flying headfirst into the snow 3 metres from my board. By the time I had swum back to my noboard, Fattwins and Dizzy had caught up and we hit Skyline together. In all the excitement I had forgotten to attach my leash. This proved disastrous as I fell on the bottom portion of skyline and my board went all the way to the bottom. I was stuck in a powfield with no noboard! 20 minutes of rolling sideways down the hill I was at the bottom, alone again and feeling dizzy and sick. I found the cattrack easy going and was riding through Sakka when the Ninja crew showed up. Stuntcok, Stillnoprogress, KOM and Loon showed up and we all walked back to the gondola. I then switched to my snowboard - my rock board : an 01 166 Frontier. I have a love/hate relationship with this board but today it was all love. After Noboarding, bindings make things so easy, so I was doing superhuman backside slashes all the way down. Life was good. By 11am, after only 3 hours of relentless pow runs my legs were shot. I was ready to call it a day but Stuntcok wanted to keep going and I felt bad about leaving so much powder behind, so I did 'one more'. The 'one more' was followed by 'one more' and before we knew it, it was 3pm! We just kept finding new untouched zones. So all in all, I rode 7 hours of pow non-stop with 1 epic noboard top-to-bottom run - it was a good day! I can't wait to noboard again!

Dizzy took some noboard pics but I don't know if they turned out. Will post them if they're any good.

last year's opening day was hella fun but this year's was incredible. Hardly any people too.

the Sunday was good too I heard. Although no new snow, the wind blew in some.

Contender: same to you smile Keep us updated on your skiing

I was up on tsugaike on Sat and Sun with the female Ninjas.

That side of Hakuba was awesome too, I am glad that I gave Kagura opening a miss this year. Only 9 cars in the parking when I arrived and half of them with mountaineering gear camping up Tengu.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I was up on tsugaike on Sat and Sun with the female Ninjas.
That side of Hakuba was awesome too, I am glad that I gave Kagura opening a miss this year. Only 9 cars in the parking when I arrived and half of them with mountaineering gear camping up Tengu.

with only the gelande open you chose Tsugaike over Happo? omg I couldnt make it up so cant speak, but wouldnt have gone there mate. Anyways, you got pics/vids?
Originally Posted By: Kumapix
So all in all, I rode 7 hours of pow non-stop with 1 epic noboard top-to-bottom run - it was a good day!

you wankers! all of you! censored.gif wink1.gif
I am seriously envious, glad I only found this out now, after working all 3 days of the long weekend, though my only consolation is the fatass paycheck coming in December......
Still must have been sweet as nectar out there, living vicariously sucks!

hakubaqv9.jpg

Opening Day was sick

after a morning fiasco, as usual, he went back while i was in line. but it worked out in the end. boots, money, good to go and just even time to spare to get on the gondola.

we were second in line for the gondola, but when the gondola opened, the j-skiers in front of us went for the gondie in the BACK!! we snaked them and got the first gondola of the year.

then the three of us, kumapix included got the first quad.

the funniest thing was while i was strapping my back binding, the j-skiers overtook me and i thought Fark--but they went for the groomed section!! i headed straight for the pow to cheers coming from the lift above. felt pretty damned awesome

kuma's NB got buried in i-kid-you-not 1.9 meters of snow on skyline. it was that deep.

so deep, in fact, when we left kuma to finish NB, we cut a trail. he broke trail and i couldn't even skate over the flats to the steepest section on the mt.

dizzy_126.jpg

Awesome pic dizzy, that's a heap of snow for this time year.

Glad to hear the stripping gig is going to pay off for you in Dec. SG cheers. To be honest I'm thinking of chucking in my paper round now. Snowboarding on the weekend sounds like it's a lot more fun.