this is a resort that will charge you for a day pass if you want to ride on the day you buy a season pass.

ie you show up on the first day of the season and buy a pass. but it takes 3 days to process so they make you buy 3 day passes (if you want to ride).

Every other resort I know just gives you a ticket for those days.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
or just pay and ride and get on with life?

No, money is tight. I can't afford a season's pass rightnow. And from instructing, i haven't had to pay for most of my riding the past 6 years, only those times i rode away from my home hill.

And i really do like instructing. But i expect my free time to be my own, and to be sufficiently compensated for the job i do. Instructing does not pay much, so there has to be the side benefit of a lift ticket to make it reasonable (unless you are Japanese, i suppose).

It might be the hangover but, having a bit of difficulty getting my head round this.... if you turned up - on your day off - you would have to be open to taking lessons? Does that not make it, er, not a day off?! Very strange one that.

Either that or having to wear the uniform and 'train' with other instructors. Which also preludes one from riding in the trees, and might look silly riding in the park. The uniforms are bright red.

And i don't have a problem with helping out and teaching every once in a while on a day off if they are seriously understaffed, but not being able to ride freely on my own time?

This is what one of the head instructors wrote me

ãã‚Œã¨å‹¤å‹™ã—ã¦ã„ã‚‹æ—¥ã«ãƒ¬ãƒƒã‚¹ãƒ³ãŒãªã„時もユニフォームã§æ»‘ã£ã¦ã„ãŸã ãã“ã¨ã«ãªã£ã¦ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ã“ã‚Œã¯æ—¥æœ¬ã§ã¯å¤šã„パターンã ã¨æ€ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚

出勤ã—ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã®ã§ã‚ã‚Œã°ã€ãƒ¬ãƒƒã‚¹ãƒ³ãŒãªã„時ã¯ãƒˆãƒ¬ãƒ¼ãƒ‹ãƒ³ã‚°ã‚’ã—ã¦ã„ãŸã ãã¨ã„ã†è€ƒãˆã§ã™ã€‚ インストラクターã¯ãƒ—ロフェッショナルãªä»•äº‹ã§ã‚ã‚Šã€ãƒˆãƒ¬ãƒ¼ãƒ‹ãƒ³ã‚°ã‚„レッスンã™ã‚‹äº‹ã‚’HAPPYã«æ„Ÿã˜ã¦ã„る人ãŸã¡ã®é›†å›£ãªã®ã§ã™ã€‚ãªã®ã§ã¿ã‚“ãªã€ã‚ã¾ã‚Šä¼‘ã¿ã‚’ã¨ã‚Šã¾ã›ã‚“。

"On days that the school is in operation, even if there are no classes, it is required that instructors wear the uniform while riding. I think this pattern is common in Japan"

"Should you not be working and there are no lessons, we feel that you should be training. As instructing is a professional job, we instructors are happy to train and teach. That is why we don't take time off."

Originally Posted By: frannyo
Didn't you work at another place a few years back Oyuki? I presume they gave you a season ticket?

Yeah, i worked at a place called Yachiho Kogen, which was great. Fun place to work, and great staff. Very small hill, but as a part-time instructor i had to show up for work at least 10 times to qualify for my pass.
don't different countries have different ways of doing things. And so too I'd imagine different resorts.

from what i know, Japan is THE only skiing country this BS happens, not unlike maid cafes and corn-flavored ice cream.

Oyuki

It mightn't be the pass you'd like but maybe the best place to teach snowboarding at Hakuba is Iwatake with Chabara and the Eurocarvers. I don't know if they still do, but they used to have a lesson season pass where people could get as much coaching as they wanted. That's pretty progressive for Hakuba.

don't different countries have different ways of doing things. And so too I'd imagine different resorts.

But a pass for hot dogs is a good deal.

It got even better. It dumped down in November so they opened early. When I got my season pass, I was able to deduct the cost of the early season day passes from the price of my season pass. It ended up costing me about 12,000 yen from memory!

Gotta run - I'm off to the post office to get my undeliverable K-Winter Pass. Rusutsu here I come!!!

dance

Yeah Oyuki, that sounds like a pile of shite. A lift ticket should deffo be complimentary to Instructors. TBH though its not that much of a surprise, considering the work practices over here.

well it is weird, but it's up to you if you want to accept it or not.

Here is my hotel booking. Funny:

Quote:
Above price includes dinner & breakfast.

Even if you do not need any meal, the price will be same.

please understand our system.

I underestand fully.