I am heading over to Niseko in Feb for two weeks and been looking for accomodation in Hirafu for two adults. It seems like everything is super expensive for the standard of accomodation you would get, is this an exchange rate (UK Pound) thing or is it just generally really expensive??

Also I see most accomodation offers airport transfers, how easy is it to organise transfers yourself and does anybody how to do this and how much they would cost (roughly)?

If anybody can help out a confused Scottish guy and answer my questions it'd be most appreciated.

Cheers!!

P.S. If anyone knows where I could find cheap, decent accommodation feel free to point me in the right direction. I've e-mailed everybody on the snowjapan list already.

Hey there...I can't really help but I'll tell you this anyway.

I've never been to japan before let alone to go snowboarding however in early Feb myself and 3 mates are going for 2 weeks. I tried doing all the organisation myself and while its possible it is incredibly difficult. You might want to look into "one world" passes available on JAL (Cheap flights for visitors to Japan basically.) I spent a solid week of researching to figure out a ROUGH price for our trip. I then went down to my local Travel agent and they came back with an offer I nearly fell over:

For 4 people to Hakuba 16 Days, 15 Nights. 10 Day Ski pass, all gear hire, all accomodation, all flights and transfers plus 2 nights in Tokyo and a castle tour somehwere for $3200 Australian per person or 1363 Pounds (sorry no pound symbol on this keyboard). In my country thats a pretty darn good deal!

Im not sure if you've booked your flights already but it may be worth looking for somewhere to do a package for you. Seen as Niseko is the biggest destination for overseas skiiers in Japan I would be incredibly surprised if you struggled to find cheap accomodation. Package deals normally get good discounts.

Sorry if this doesnt help at all, just thought I'd mention that I tried organising it myself (and I've been very good at it in the past) but when it comes to Japan it can be a struggle.

Cheers.

Welcome Samboco, always nice to have another Scot on the boards!! thumbsup

I think that Niseko is in general quite expensive when compared with the rest of Japan, but still cheaper than most top European and North American resorts. The exchange rate just now is NOT helping it from your point of view either. The airport transfer I know nothing about but I'm sure either Ezorisu, Mike Pow or Go Native will let you know the details.

On a side note, I've noticed a lot more Brits, quite a few of em scots, starting to post here, has there been an advertising campaign for Japan as a skiing destination in the UK or is it just word of mouth that Japan is a hidden gem?

Alright folks,

Thanks a lot for your input, its most appreciated. I think its mostly just the exchange rate that is making for shocking quotes from accomodation. I've already got the flights but cheers for the recommendations, its hard to gauge some places with limited photo's.

Tubby Beaver, as for the advertising drive its not happened its just good old fashioned word of mouth. Our mate was over for the season and came back raving about the snow and we had to check it out. I'm sure all the extra shifts will be worthwhile!

Oh aye, I'm digging your tag line. 'mon the haverin'!

• SnowJapan Admin

Oh yes, amongst other things of course, we - ie. SnowJapan - have done a few things in the UK in the last month or so. Despite the exchange rates, there is certainly a lot of interest.

• SnowJapan Admin

Thats great. I was certainly not implying that everyone came here because of what we have done - just that there is interest in the UK and we have helped out with numerous organisations/projects where we can in order to try and let the world know about Japanese winter sports.

Originally Posted By: Mattaus

For 4 people to Hakuba 16 Days, 15 Nights. 10 Day Ski pass, all gear hire, all accomodation, all flights and transfers plus 2 nights in Tokyo and a castle tour somehwere for $3200 Australian per person or 1363 Pounds (sorry no pound symbol on this keyboard). In my country thats a pretty darn good deal!

where are you staying? sounds VERY similair to my trip, we will be there late jan to early feb

Some accommodation in Niseko is undoubtedly quite expensive but you have to realise that the standard of this accommodation is very different to just about anything else found in Japan. Luxury western style apartments and houses with full western kitchens, large open plan dining/lounge areas, baths you can actually lay down in, etc just aren't found much at other ski resorts in this country. And if they are you'd probably find prices aren't much different than those in Niseko. The prices are only crazy if you think they don't present value for the standard of the accommodation.

Many foreigners are more than prepared to pay for this level of comfort but if it's cheap you want then there are still plenty of other options available in Niseko.

Quote:
where are you staying? sounds VERY similair to my trip, we will be there late jan to early feb

I tried PMing you but its disabled or I don't have permission or something. We have had it organised for us through STA Travel here in Brisbane. We wanted to go late Jan early Feb but the $800 per person price difference fazed us a bit. So now we are heading off on the 21st of feb for 2 weeks. The lodge we are staying at is the Wind Jacket Lodge in Hakuba. I checked it out, seems pretty nice - typical wooden lodge in the snow, cant really complain. Though I am about to post a topic regarding the climate in late Feb early March. Fingers crossed its still tops!
  • SnowJapan Admin

UK JNTO have been doing a few things, including a Japan ski pamphlet, and there have been few ski shows in the UK as well in recent weeks. We've tried to do our bit by providing a info/articles/interviews for a number of JNTO info/magazines/newspapers/books. It's a pity the pound has taken such a dive over the last couple of months.

i think i may be approaching it most economically:

-got the airtickets to Chitose through my local travel agent in Penang (too late to get them online)

-got a local agent in Niseko (ixsm.com) to arrange accom and airport transfers (they do ski-passes as well)

-will arrange everything else personally when i arrive....

....my Malaysian Ringgit is the weakest currency here :(

I tried PMing you but its disabled or I don't have permission or something.

You have to have a minimum number of posts before PMs are enabled unless you grovel to SJF. IIRC the number required is 20, so you are not far off.

Cheers, enjoy, take plenty of pics and post a report when you get back. - NO PRESSURE!

Hi Samboco,

The transfer from Chitose (Sapporo) Airport to Niseko (Hirafu) is a piece of cake. Just get a bus from outside the arrivals area. Not sure about the cost because I've always done it as part of a package, but it shouldn't be more than a few thousand yen. The journey takes about 2 hours, including a 10-minute food / beer / bathroom break at a service area en route.

As for the comment about accommodation prices - I'd say it's a combination of exchange rate and the fact that a lot of the new places in Hirafu are luxury level and the operators want a premium. If you are prepared to sleep on a futon in a more modest place, it should be cheaper, but then availability's the issue. Try "Hotel J-First Niseko" which is very close to the base lift at Hirafu and where, at least as a package with room sharing, it's excellent value for money. The food's really good as well.

SdS

Quote:

I tried PMing you but its disabled or I don't have permission or something. We have had it organised for us through STA Travel here in Brisbane. We wanted to go late Jan early Feb but the $800 per person price difference fazed us a bit. So now we are heading off on the 21st of feb for 2 weeks. The lodge we are staying at is the Wind Jacket Lodge in Hakuba. I checked it out, seems pretty nice - typical wooden lodge in the snow, cant really complain. Though I am about to post a topic regarding the climate in late Feb early March. Fingers crossed its still tops!

yep that is the same place we are staying, we booked ours through oz snow adventures, only i have bought my own gear and organised our won flights with jetstar which worked out cheaper than what they were offering us. I think that the wind jacket should be reasonable, as long as I have a comfy bed I will be happy. Will be there from 17thjan through to 2nd or 3rd (who counts down to when you get back?) of feb, so i will let you know how it was when I get back!