I really like daikon, especially as a pickle. yum.

Also like the way they get hung out ready to get their pic taken.

sanjo_72.jpg

I wish I could draw faces on daikon better than I can. But anyway, slow afternoon.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daikon is best in thick slices stewed in dashi oden style. The proper way is to cook it in starchy water from washing rice to get the bitterness out. Do not confuse with dodgy oden cooked in instant dashi in the conbeni.

Grated on fish, meat, natto, etc. is great too. If you're buying half a daikon, the top half is sweeter than the bottom.

For pickles I prefer the fresher "asai" ones that tend to be packed in liquid. They don't keep very long though.

Sorry I am a bit naive. Is Daikon Japanese Radish?? I am addicted to Japanese Radish ever since I went to japan. Can some one please tell me a good way to prepare them Raw.

We have just been having them raw in salad or with cottage cheese dip. wakaranai

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
Sorry I am a bit naive. Is Daikon Japanese Radish?? I am addicted to Japanese Radish ever since I went to japan. Can some one please tell me a good way to prepare them Raw.

We have just been having them raw in salad or with cottage cheese dip. wakaranai

Yes daikon is Japanese radish, but there is also Kabu, which is the little round white radishes that grow anything from the size of a golf ball to around the size of a base ball depending on where they are grown.

You can simply eat the daikon as it is, just peel the skin with a potato peeler and chop it up into thin slices and enjoy.

You can of course pickle them using osu, a kind of Japanese vinegar, or pickle them with salt as you prefare.

They make a good adition to a salad. I also sometimes slice them into sticks and add them to a salad along with carrot and cucuumber sticks. Dip them in a little mayonaise and enjoy!
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
The proper way is to cook it in starchy water from washing rice to get the bitterness out.

Interesting! I did not know that. I'll do that next time - Thanks! thumbsup

...oh, and I'm guessing that's "precook in the starchy water, then dump into dashi with rest of oden ingredients"?
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Daikon is best in thick slices stewed in dashi oden style. The proper way is to cook it in starchy water from washing rice to get the bitterness out. Do not confuse with dodgy oden cooked in instant dashi in the conbeni.

I am very opened minded with food and eat almost everything, but cooked Daikon in Oden is one of my all time dislikes, the texture and bitterness are just awful, though reading about the starchy water and removing the bitterness, I am willing to give it one more try to see, but it must work miracles to improve the taste if it works.
I get daikons given to me all the time from many different people so being able to eat it in Oden would be a good money saver, the good wife stews a pretty mean Oden.
Raw and pickled are fine, cooking normally it somehow transforms daikon from Anakin to Vader.
Originally Posted By: SG
I am very opened minded with food and eat almost everything, but cooked Daikon in Oden is one of my all time dislikes, the texture and bitterness are just awful, though reading about the starchy water and removing the bitterness, I am willing to give it one more try to see, but it must work miracles to improve the taste if it works.
I get daikons given to me all the time from many different people so being able to eat it in Oden would be a good money saver, the good wife stews a pretty mean Oden.
Raw and pickled are fine, cooking normally it somehow transforms daikon from Anakin to Vader.

True about the cooking - it also tends to bring out the "fartyness", smell-wise. Try using some of the yellow mustard with your oden daikon - that might help.