Hi there

Soon I'll be buying equipment. It's all very exciting but I am getting lost looking at the dizzying array of what is out there.

On the question of size, I'd be interested to hear what people are using. Seems ask 10 people the question about size and you'll get 10 different opinions.

So - your height, perhaps your level and the size of your skis or snowboard. Anyone happy to share that info with me?

PS I'm 156cm tall.

Thanks

At 156cm, I'd suggest something between 150 and 165 (although your weight has a lot to say here; that's for average weight/height).

For a not-so-useful comparison, I'm 187cm and I think my skis should range from 175 (stiff groomed runs) to maybe 190 (deep powder).

Hope that gives you an idea to work from.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: PWL
Seems ask 10 people the question about size and you'll get 10 different opinions.

And if you ask 7311 people?

Mine are 168 cm, 76mm waist (Elan 666 2005 model). I'm 176cm, 90kg. For Japan pow, go longer and fatter.
Originally Posted By: PWL
Thanks for that. All over the place then!
How come all yours are over your height Creek Boy?

That'd be coz the Pontoons are POW ski's, longer and wider gives more float. <says the snowboarding n00b, correct me if I am wrong>

I don't ski so I can't help with your question, but I am comofortable with a snowboard length that sits between my mouth and nose. My kids are the same, but Papabear like a slightly longer proportioned board and goes for one that sits between his nose and forehead. I also like a lot of flex in my board - prefer to feel the snow than ride over it if you know what I mean.

The shorter your skis are the easier it's going to be to handle, but if they get to short they could "dive" if you ride in more snow.

If you are a beginner, go for say 5 cm shorter than you.

If you want something for powder and you are a good skier, go as long as you dare (the longer the harder it's going to be to turn)

If you like jibbing and playing around, your height or around should be good, since it's easy to spin around etc.

That's what I think. The shorter the ski are the easier to turn and handle... than weight, and all that comes into the calculation. But since you are a beginner (going to learn how to ski?) I would advice you to go for a ski around 5 cm shorter than you..

in a hurry, an don't feel like reading through the text, so pardon my english. hope this helped you some! smile

peace