Originally Posted By: Yappy
Hey there

Hope you're all good!!!!!

Looks like Lodge Tibi-Tibi is our accommodation choice for Feb. It's got its own park?!!

Anyone stayed here before??

Cheers, Yappy smile

It sounds cheap, but you pay extra for most things, like using the hot tub, towels and others. Heaters are turned off at night from all reports from others who have stayed.
You only get what you pay for.

Hey (voted) best skier in hakuba - 2nd year running!

I did mean tabi-tabi – the question is, are you just being anal or did you actually want to check that I was talking about tabi-tabi before you spilled the beans??

I wonder…..

Originally Posted By: Birdman
Hey there

Looks like Lodge Tibi-Tibi is our accommodation choice for Feb. It's got its own park?!!

Cheers, Yappy smile

It sounds cheap, but you pay extra for most things, like using the hot tub, towels and others. Heaters are turned off at night from all reports from others who have stayed.

Hey Birdman

Are you serious? They turn the heating off at night?? I'm prone to being more than a bit gullible so I’m going to take that with a pinch of salt.

On the onsen front, they said they have an onsen which we “are all free to useâ€, so I hope they don’t try to charge us for it once we get there!!!
Originally Posted By: Birdman
Hey there

Cheers, Yappy smile

Hey Birdman

Are you serious? They turn the heating off at night?? I'm prone to being more than a bit gullible so I’m going to take that with a pinch of salt.

On the onsen front, they said they have an onsen which we “are all free to useâ€, so I hope they don’t try to charge us for it once we get there!!!

No. it's not free; however, there is a very good onsen nearby that is probably cheaper to use. TabiTabi is clean, is run by good people; is war and and comfortable; and is close enough to Goryu. Not the best place if you hope to ski at Happo.

Hi Yappy

Judging from where Tabi-Tabi is, they probably don't have (or claim to have) an "onsen". An onsen is a natural hot spring, i.e., mineral water, not simply a bath. It smells and feels quite different on your skin to a bath with ordinary water. What they probably have is a hot tub. A few of the other places in Goryu have nice baths too. The only in-hotel onsen in Goryu is at Stelle Belle and maybe a couple of the others right next to Escal Plaza whose spring they share.

There are loads of cheap onsens around Hakuba, so be sure to try some of them!

Wallas & Hannasus - see you both there by the looks of things! Can't wait!

Wallas, Thailand then Japan?! What a start to a year!!!

Mr Wiggles - ta muckle for your reply. So long as it’s warm and clean then I’m happy.

Altho what Mr Wiggles says is true, an onsen is much better than a simple o-furo (bath), if you've never been to an onsen before then the o-furo experience will still be good as they build them to look like natural onsen anyway, sometimes they just get real onsen water delivered to a huge tank and pipe it in from there.

I love onsen!! clap

I've never been in an onsen before and I can not wait to experience one. Shame that it’s only a bath (o-furo hehe) but I’m sure it’ll still be great to come home and soak for a bit after exploring their hills. Getting really excited about it all now!!!!

We’ve got 3 nights in Tokyo after Hakuba so we’ve got to find accommodation for that now, think I’ll post another ‘help!’ request!

Thailand for nearly 2.5 weeks then Japan 3 months then Sydney for a month and finally California for a month.

I cannae wait !!

I've booked Andon Ryokan in Tokyo, i arrive 15th Jan and stay there for a few nights before i move onto Hakuba.

If anyone is knocking around Tokyo and needs a drinking partner give us a shout.

Wallas, we're doing it the other way round. Arrive on the 15th, straight up to Hakuba, then back to Tokyo on the 26th - figured it would be safer that way. Don't want to party ourselves into the ground before we've hit some of that snow!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

I've been planning on coming to Japan for snowboarding for 6 weeks or so from end of Jan. I've only recently really looked into prices, bit scary. Is tabi-tabi one of the cheapest places to stay? Might see you there.

Thanks,

Paul

Hey there

Cheers, Yappy smile

Own park????wish i was staying there now
second thoughts id probably be too tired and sore
  • 2 weeks later...

well i'm supposed to be in japan now but i'm still in bangkok and probably will be for another 11 days.

i was the victim of an attempted mugging in phi phi by 5 thai's, (1 a copper/security guard) managed to get away from them but hurt myself throwing myself over a wall !! my head - it's sorted now, my right knee - that's nearly getting there and a broken a bone in my right hand, i have surgery on my hand on monday, a couple of screws in there and stay in bangkok for treatment till nearly the end of the month.

so my season snowboarding in japan has not started well, the doc says no chance, but i'll make sure i'll get stuck into the snow when i eventually get there !!

i hope you're all enjoying it !!!

cheers tubby beaver,

the hospital i go to is simply amazing better than a 5 star hotel, my doc is harvard educated and all the nurses dress and look like air stewardesses, it's heaven !! i could've gone back to the uk if i wanted and had it done back there !! no chance !!

i'm loving bangkok too.

hopefully all goes well tomorrow and i don't need a cast on for 3 months, i'll bag myself some flexmeter wristguards and hope for the best.

thanks again.

A cast for almost a year ?!! that would be too much.

had my op, more damage in there than they first thought, fused the bones together and inserted a screw in there, i've got a half cast on, top of arm soft,under arm hard, so not really any good for snowboarding. got to see my doc in a week and then every 2 weeks until 6 weeks time when it should come off. decided to stay in thailand, for the duration, the warmth i'm sure will help my hand heal a bit quicker, and the cost of drinking and living in thailand will definitely be cheaper than if i was staying in resort in Japan.

by the time i get there i should be straight out onto the snow.

thailands not a bad place to be holed up, just not on Phi Phi for me,i won't be going back !!

have fun folks !!