It's really getting dark quite early here now - even at 3:30pm it is starting to get dark (today the weather is rainy and gloomy so that doesn't help) but by 5pm it's pretty much night time here now. Need to get some thicker clothes out. Brrrr.

Hate to state the obvious muika, but surely it'd be a bit worrying if that wasn't happening in mid-November??

Even in Tokyo we were pretty wrapped up this weekend. It has been properly chilly for the first time and I was missing my coat walking in to the office this morning - the thermo said about 10 deg C at 9:30 am.

Ice cream headaches, I tell you

I know - and me complaining about 10 deg C is pretty soft, thinking about it.

The lack of daylight in December is another reason why skiiable snow lasting well into the much longer days of April is a good thing. More value for money, as it were.

I hope to get first turns in (probably at Kagura) early in December. Presumably you'll be there from day one?

Yep it seems like winter has just hit out of the blue. Last Saturday it was warm during the day, I was out biking in shorts and t-shirts but since last Sunday its gotton colder and colder. Had the heaters on for the 1st time the other day, and as I wear a t-shirt while working, have already had my 1st round of "Aren't you cold?" lol

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
and as I wear a t-shirt while working, have already had my 1st round of "Aren't you cold?" lol

LOL - I get that here in Tokyo most of the time except summer. What is it with the Japanese, they all seem to be 'samugari's' or is it just that us gaijin have thick skin or something.

My wife is always complaining it's cold even in Tokyo. Sure it's cooler now, but it definately isn't what you can call cold yet.

For you Hokkaidolights is it the same up there in winter or anytime for that matter. I still get the same thing in Nagano where it gets down to -20oC, but that is understandable as even spring and autumn there is quite cold.

Just interested to know how others feel about winter!

I would much much MUCH rather have cold than hot. I can always put a coat on, in summer here it's just "no escape". Having said that, I'm not mad keen on freezing cold mornings in my freezing cold place. Timers need to be working!!

Oh I'm with you there rach, I actually like the cold, yes some people will think I am stupid, but the summers here are just punishing, no other word for it.

In winter ou can put the heaters on or light the fire as I do when it gets really cold, eat loads of hot pot foods, soak in onsens and just feel great and alive. Summer, just make you feel dead all the time!

I juse wish that Japanese houses were properly insulated. Any heat that gets generated just gets sucked through the papeï½’-like walls!! veryangry

I'd love to have a wood fire in my place, that always keeps things nice and toasty

Originally Posted By: snowdude

For you Hokkaidolights is it the same up there in winter or anytime for that matter. I still get the same thing in Nagano where it gets down to -20oC, but that is understandable as even spring and autumn there is quite cold.

Just interested to know how others feel about winter!

Four definite seasons up here. All very civilised.

Winter not too cold (avg -7 C), summer not too hot (avg +25 C).

Spring and Autumn in between. Most of the time minimal humidity.

Pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Originally Posted By: MikePow

I think I'd like your summers! A bit less extreme than here. I can hardly imagine what it would be like living in Tokyo, big city or southern Japan in summer. Unbearable most likely!
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: MikePow

I think I'd like your summers! A bit less extreme than here. I can hardly imagine what it would be like living in Tokyo, big city or southern Japan in summer. Unbearable most likely!

More than unbearable, which is why I escaped to my house in Nagano during all of August. Trouble with Tokyo there is absolutely no wind in summer and even if there is the houses are so squashed together that the wind doesn't circluate at all.
Usually have to change my T-shirt about 4 times a day everyday in Tokyo's summer.
Luckily it is cooler now and actually just right, nice and comfortable now!