I was looking at some of the nifty little notebooks that are in the shops now. Nice looking machines some of them. Noticed that some used SSD memory - I presume thats like flash memory - and a pretty hefty amount as well (128GB?). That one was pretty expensive.

Anyone got one or used one. I presume performance is good on those things.......

Hmmmm what to buy.

I'm sure it would be nice to have, but SSD memory machines get real expensive real quick. A bit too expensive if you want any decent amount in there. Something for the future perhaps.

One of the main things that slows your pc is HDD access. So if you can cut that out by having all your main apps on the SSD it should speed it up. But I think it would less cost efficient than having a good processor, enough RAM, and fastest possible RPM on the HDD. Only for the v.rich.

The access problem is partly because of the bus speed between the drive and the ram. The other thing that slows access down is the seek time on a hdd - the read head has to find the data before it can read it. Not so much of a problem with solid-state drives, although they still have to locate the data through lookups etc.

Off topic a bit but was looking at some of those tiny "net pcs" that seem to be the latest boom here. Around 50000 yen. Some of them running Vista --- seemed very slow, though I like the idea of such a machine that size.

net PC relies on internet access for all applications and data storage. THAT is a major hassle, espec when you have no option for access than a 56Kbps dialup.

Imagine wanting to do a letter. So - dialing in to the net, wait for connect, ask for wordprocessor, wait for WP to load from net, type a bit and save, wait for save access, request spell check, wait for speller to load, request print a copy - wait for print module to load from net, get print copy - notice typo (I do this all the time!) edit, save, wait for access, print, wait for print module to load etc etc etc.

I guess what I'm saying is - these are OK if you have fast broadband access reliably, and a decent data limit. However, for people who have slow net access they'd be a right PITA!

Now, before anyone starts with the "but EVERYONE's got BB access, I should mention that I live about 6km from my exchange. I am the last place on what is effectively a 12km copper line to have BB access, the infrastructure will not support the ADSL link beyond my place. That means that the people who have just built (about 500m away) cannot get BB, so have to have either satellite or dialup.

actually you can use the web services offline. google docs for example can be run offline, then when you get a connection back up it synchronises automatically. google docs offers lite versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.