Is the Haka dead? (rugby fans)

Anyone who follows international rugby league or union would be well familiar with the Haka. It's a traditional Moari war dance performed by the New Zealand team before the match kick off.

What usually takes place is the Kiwis perform their dance, which involves some yelling, screaming and poking out of tongues designed to intimidate the opposition. It is performed in the middle of the field whist the opposition MUST stand still and face this performance. In the past players have even been rebuked (and targeted) by the Kiwis for even talking during the Haka.

Well last night that was turned on it's head.

Last night the English rugby league team turned their back on the kiwis in the middle of their performance and formed a huddle of their own. This of course has upset the Kiwis. They say it was disrespectful. It will certainly open a can of worms and my prediction is the this will eventually see an end to the Haka performed before a match.

Story

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy did the same thing to the All Blacks at the start of a match in 2007. At that time many stories in the press of players and fans commenting that it was disrespectful just like the press is writing now.

Its unlikely that we will ever see the All Blacks stop preforming the Haka and the same goes for the Kiwis(rugby league). I wouldnt be suprised if the N.Z rugby union and the I.R.B didnt have contractual obligations stating that Haka must be performed before all International Matches. It helps to charge the atmosphere of the stadium prior to kick off and its now what the fans and the Sponsers expect.

IMO its overused and isn't special anymore. I fast forward it if its recorded or if live use the time to grab a beer or go to the toilet.

In the amateur days it was different, in professional Rugby the haka has become somewhat anachronistic.

It is a bit like cheerleaders before American Football games I think... non rugby fans will watch the Haka then flick the channel and just go back for score checks.

I like the Haka. I especially like it when you have two teams who have a haka and 'face off' - scary faces!

It is very intimidating, as it is intended to be, and perhaps the English team, and the Italians before them just tried a different tactic to give them an edge in play... let's upset them so thier game is off...

why is it considered disrespectful to turn your back on it....its a war dance designed to intimidate those who watch it....soooo why should they be allowed to "intimidate" the opposition? Surely the opposition can choose to watch it or not and then play their own mind games??!!

Originally Posted By: moloney
I think it is ok!! If you are good enough you will beat them. I think in today's modern world we are trying too much to get rid of old traditions. I think the Irish team should do a jig before our games!! smile

haha, yeah they could do a Riverdance, us Scots could do a highland fling and the English could do a Morris dance!!! lol
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Let em perform it if they wish, but nobody should be forced to watch it (opposing team members nor fans). If they are forced to, then I think that team should make the Kiwis watch them drop their pants while they moon em thumbsup

lol Moon them, yes that would be the appropriate response for a 'war' dance.
Personally I find the Haka entertaining but that's all it is- ENTERTAINMENT! It would be much more appropriate if they (the maori players only) performed it for the crowd, in their own time of course.

I'm surprised that the Kiwis have had this exclusive arrangement with the IRB and the NRL for for long.

"If that's how they want to approach the game, that's their choice."

In my opinion he is quite right (Kiwis star and captain Benji Marshall)

so basically he is saying it is the oppostiotions right to respond to the haka in that manner but as Willie Mason found out that is maybe not the right attitude if you want to stay in one piece - type kidweel vs mason into youtube - you will see real disespect and consequences !

Is it disrespectful to ignore the haka? I don't think so - I actually find how the kiwis' opposition responds to it to be half the fun. If they basically prefer to spend the time in a huddle discussing tactics or demonstrating their own show of unity, then so be it. After all, in the original meaning, how much respect should you show to someone who's about to try to kill you in as violent a way as possible ?

People have tried to mess with the haka before - turning backs, talking, I think one team once even stood really close to the NZ team so the all blacks couldn't jump forward at the end. I think even once the All Blacks got so sniffy about the haka getting the right respect they did the haka in their dressing room, before they went on to the field. The all blacks are too much a part of world rugby and the haka is too much apart of the mystic of All Black rugby for it ever to go away. IMHO - it is a great bit of theatre and a fine tradition. What a wonderful spectacle; what a terrifying sight; how positively primeval to stand your ground against a bunch of huge (mainly Maori) All Blacks chanting a war dance. For the Portuguese team (weren’t they the part time/ armature team that played the All Blacks during the last RWC), facing the haka was probably the highlight of their rugby careers. CB, I don't know about you, but if I were in the opposing team, I'd definitely be wanting to drop my dacks....so I didn't have run off the field and change them before the game started!

What is less impressive is the many other haka - lite versions that every other island nation now use. It just doesn't seem to have quite the same impact.

hhaa very good RD - I enjoyed reading that little tibit- you are dead right there was one occasion vs Wales ?- from memory where they did the haka inside and for the life of me I can't remember what the reasin was for that - anyone I?- I'm not even sure what to type into google for that one - KIA KAHA (ps I would have to give you at mainly maori - these days it seems to be players of ()polynesian heritage esp samoan / tongan players that dominate the AB's) - Fijians also - Kiwis league side is probably more Maori dominated and this is the one that instigated the thread - anyway great thread - chhers all

Sorry BB. My (uninformed )Aussie prejudice is showing a bit there - As an AFL supporter my Rugby knowledge is pretty poor. “Maori†and “All Blacks†are largely interchangeable concepts for people like me.

Originally Posted By: boardbaka

so basically he is saying it is the oppostiotions right to respond to the haka in that manner but as Willie Mason found out that is maybe not the right attitude if you want to stay in one piece - type kidweel vs mason into youtube - you will see real disespect and consequences !

lol I remember that Boadbaka. (we won that game too wink

Do you really think a blow to big Willie's head will change his view on the Haka? He's had plenty worse than that in club games. BTW did you know Willie was born in NZ to a kiwi father and a Tongan mother. It kind of supports his story about not showing disrespect.
What is it with the 'respect' issue anyway?
We will do our scary dance and you MUST stand there and respect it or else. No other rugby nation I know is allowed to express their uniqueness to the world like the Kiwis.
Blow the whistle- Kick the ball.... like everyone else.