I wonder if this thread will get lots of hits lol

Anyway, on to topic:

Women's hands 'harbour more bugs'

Women have a greater range of different types of bacteria on the palms of their hands than men, US research suggests.

The study also found that human hands harbour far higher numbers of bacteria species than previously thought.

Using powerful gene sequencing techniques, researchers found a typical hand had roughly 150 different species of bacteria living on it.

Did they say why women had more than men?

There's an old tradition that only men should be sushi chefs because women's hands were more likely to corrupt the raw fish, but I think that was supposedly because of hand temperature...

Is anyone surpised by this?

Women tend to end up with the dirty work ... dirty laundry, cooking and cleaning, scrubbing bathrooms, caring for sick children...

Mind you washing of hands would be nice ...

lol

Since I have been in Japan, for some reason I wash my hands way way more than I used to. And I'm sure I didn't not do it before. Strange. I think the lady friend is a clean obsessed and I have caught that on.

I find it horrible how few men wash their hands over here after having a piss. Hardly ever see them go to the sink after using the bathroom, and it annoys me how we only get cold water over here to wash hands with.

Having said that..dirty women!

Originally Posted By: farquah
I find it horrible how few men wash their hands over here after having a piss. Hardly ever see them go to the sink after using the bathroom, and it annoys me how we only get cold water over here to wash hands with.

Having said that..dirty women!

I must admit I'm not sure why you need to wash your hands after having a piss unless you managed to spray it all over them (unless I'm really drunk I generally manage to go without doing this). Is that part of your body somehow inherantly dirtier than other parts? I mean if I touch my face or arm or leg should I be washing my hands everytime as well?
Originally Posted By: me jane
I read that (original post) too. Something to do with women's hands being more acidic or something wasn't it?

Yes - makes for a better environment for the particular bugs involved.

Could also be the greater use of moisturizers/hand products also - those can both change the skin pH, but also inhibit naturally occurring anti-microbial agents that may otherwise be present. Sort of like the case of excessive use of anti-bacterial soaps can kill certain skin bacteria whose presence normally makes the skin inhospitable to fungus, so ringworm/jock itch/athlete's foot ensues.

Yes GN it is more dirty.

"For bacteria, the scrotum is a nice place to live: it's warm, it's protected from the elements, and it contains plenty of tissue to feed upon. Infections in the scrotum tend to grow so quickly, the infected person often doesn't know it until it's too late to reverse the damage to the testicles, and the male is forced to live as a eunuch."

taken from http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Scrotal_Infection

warning, contains a graphic picture.

Please wash after a slash and the world will be a slightly better place.

why even touch it when you take a slash? it's pretty easy to do, pull the top of your boxers/y-fronts/briefs down, jiggle it out, let your old fella rest on the top off your briefs, shake it and then manoeuvre it back it in. The whole time holding on to your underpants - you haven't touched 'it'.

That said I only do that in public toilets that have awful facilities.

I am usually pretty good with washing my hands, whenever I come home I wash my hands thoroughly and gargle.

When I arrive at work I do the same thing - gargling is very useful to reduce your incidence of cold and flu especially if you travel on public transport.

One thing that makes me laugh is people who dip their hands briefly in water and say they wash their hands. They are almost worse than those who dont wash at all.

Twinhandsmall.jpg

sinks like this would get blokes washing

chongqing-wash-hands.jpg

Or doing something else instead of washing....

Gross!

I always wash after visiting the bathroom, but am often in public bathrooms - especially shopping mall/centre public ones - keeping food in the house for 4 boys is a fulltime gig! Anyhow - they are 'clean', but I wonder HOW clean...on the taps, on the door handles.. I wash - try with soap, but most often the soap container is OUT, and the hand dryer broken. So I also like to carry a bottle of hand santiser with me for AFTER I am out of the bathroom (no more doors to touch).

Another creepy germ carrier is shopping trolleys. When I had babies sitting in them I always wiped the handle down thoroughly with a sanitising wet wipe - now I just do the hand santiser thing after completing my shopping.

Taking small children to public toilets is a germ nightmare. Little hands just grab anything and everything.

No matter how much you try and educate them about germs and dirt, it's just not important to them.