What do you do with all your "old" emails? I delete junk but I have got into the habit of keeping everything else and my folders are now getting to be very big. It doesn't seem to be affecting speed but I was wondering what other people do with old emails - say from 5,6, 7 years before? Keep them, archive them or what?

smile

It grows and grows. From time to time I tell myself I'll sort it all out, but never get round to it. Old mails aren't doing any harm so I'll let them be.

not doing any harm, except taking up a heap of room on your drive. Unless you are required to keep them (I believe that the US Sarbanes Oxley laws require some emails to be retained, but I don't know any more than that) I'd suggest that you go through them on a reasonably regular basis. get rid of anything you don;t need to refer to again and archive the rest.

Never delete mine, I guess I keep them just in case I need them sometime, which I almost certainly wont, as email in boxes tend to have unlimited space nowadays never bother deleting them now.

Well, the least you could do is shift them from the inbox to a file box, even if still in the email client.

My home emails are stored on the network drive, so I can access them from any compute on the network, even the laptops. I have a file system in the email client that allows me to keep the inbox relatively empty, any emails I think I might want to keep are filed as soon as I read them. Any that are still in the inbox after a week are obviously not necvessary, so they go to the bit bucket!

It ain't a hardship if you do it regularly. But, sheesh! how many years worth of emails do you have? Just checking jup on where it is would be a mamoth task.

What would you do if the email client stopped working? If these emails are so important that you save them, do you have a backup of them somewhere? If not, then you will certainly lose them, as a reinstall of the email client software will not (usually) retain settings or old emails.

Originally Posted By: JA
Well, the least you could do is shift them from the inbox to a file box, even if still in the email client.

My home emails are stored on the network drive, so I can access them from any compute on the network, even the laptops. I have a file system in the email client that allows me to keep the inbox relatively empty, any emails I think I might want to keep are filed as soon as I read them. Any that are still in the inbox after a week are obviously not necvessary, so they go to the bit bucket!

It ain't a hardship if you do it regularly. But, sheesh! how many years worth of emails do you have? Just checking jup on where it is would be a mamoth task.

What would you do if the email client stopped working? If these emails are so important that you save them, do you have a backup of them somewhere? If not, then you will certainly lose them, as a reinstall of the email client software will not (usually) retain settings or old emails.

All my emails are naturally backed up when I back up my comp, so even if the email client failed and I lost them all, I still have a copy.

gmail. No emails on my drive = no email viruses either.

If gmail ever fills up, I'll use another gmail account.

Need to find an old email? Use the gmail (google) search function.

Want a back up of your gmail? Set up a forwarder to a hotmail account or some other online email service.

Why keep your emails on the hard drive?

Maybe if you familiarise yourself with gmail a bit you may realize that you can store all your emails on your hard drive if you like as well as keep a back up online with the gmail.

My point?

Nothing in particular. Just discussing various methods of email management with people on this forum.

Same here!

I can access my email from anywhere in the world, just use the webmail facility that every ISP provides.

On holiday, I do NOT want/need to have access to any old emails at all. They can wait until I get home! If not, that's too bad!

When I am out if I need to access my email, I just use my keitei, as it has a web browser so can access any of my email accounts to both receive and send mail. So no need to bring my comp with me unless I need to send long emails.

That is all good when you are an employee.

We always take a laptop - always have the VPN set up on it for connection directly to the business. And check in with work pretty much daily to make sure we have a business to come home to!!

I don't take MY work with me - but I seem to always bump into a Deaf person on my travels no matter where it is. Learn some awesome new signs that way! thumbsup