I was going to add these to my other thread but decided to post a new one. Today I went walking around the hills in Yamakoshi with some friends. We visited someone who lives there and was taken to a very remote part of the village to see some very strange and powerful sights left over from the earthquake there 4 years ago. I thought I would share them. It was a small valley area that used to run along a river, would never have found this place along, but with all the shaking the ground collapsed and some natural dams formed resulting in houses getting flooded, washed away and eventually ending up like the photos below, looking like they are half-buried underground. Apparently they plan to clear up some of them but leave one or two as a reminder.

muikabochi_850.JPG

muikabochi_851.JPG

muikabochi_847.JPG

Tell you what, it really is a beautiful area.

Yes. I think about a year ago the last "no go" area was opened up again. It's one of those villages that is spread out over quite a large mountainous area with no real centre. There are lots of new (really nice looking) houses dotted around. I heard on the news though that the population now is 1/3 down on what it was pre-shakes.

Hey this was on the Niigata news last night. Seems they are starting to get rid of some of these houses. It showed the ones you have in the photos up there and seems they intend to keep a few including the one with the blue/grey roof.

Also showed a photo of that house as it was before the earthquake... there are actually 2 floors 'hidden' - the garage level and then the first floor, so there's probably 3 meters of house not visible in that photo.

• 11 months later...

Almost the 5th anniversary of our horrific earthquake here in Chuetsu area of Niigata. I was looking back over some photos and thought I'd drag this up as lots of new people on here since last year.

5 years, can't believe it. It was very scary.

Real ones will be at least 10000 yen a square meter. Just sitting there, quite close to the ground now!

Looks pretty good for something thats been shaken, flooded, sunken and had five years of snow (uncleared) and rain. Some post and beam houses proved to be flimsy in the Kobe quake, but the ones in the snow zone are strong. They overengineer them for the snow loading.

Quote:
shaken, flooded, sunken and had five years of snow (uncleared) and rain

Actually laughed at that!! They do look in good condition don't they! (but remember, this was last year so 'only' 4 years) wink
  • 3 weeks later...

Today more fine weather and sunny skies - warm too, had the windows open on the drive up to Yamakoshi. I love this area. It is just so pretty.

Went back to see those houses in the ground. Since I last went they have put a "thank you" sign and small monument. There were a few coaches full of people taking a look, and it seemed quite lively actually... not only this little area but also the main community centre where they have made a small exhibition.

It made us laugh but every time we have been there we have seen the same guy - probably in his 70's and always the one they interviewed on tv. He seems to have taken on a guide role in the community and there he was again today with his big smile and helpful attitude. One day I'd love to stop and have a good talk with him, he must have lots of stories.

"Thank you everyone"

muikabochi_1919.JPG

muikabochi_1921.JPG

muikabochi_1920.JPG

muikabochi_1917.JPG

muikabochi_1918.JPG

muikabochi_1916.JPG

Not sure if he was a native:

muikabochi_1923.JPG

I wish that blue cover thing wasn't there!

muikabochi_1922.JPG

muikabochi_1926.JPG