are the weekend ETC cards valid north of Newcastle? wink

Serious point though.....as a visitor would I be able to get one? I'll be doing some serious mileage on the toll roads in Dec/Jan. Where do you normally buy your ETC cards? Can you nip into a Lawson/7-11 and buy one? Last time I just paid for each journey at the toll booth.

This 1000yen thing is just a lame promise.

It will not happen until after the next budget, which wont happen until after the next election. That is scheduled for Nov 2009 I believe. So you have to wait at least a year for the *possibility* of this to happen.

Which leads me to say, why bother announcing it at all? Do it, and then announce it!

The rental company I use (Nippon Rent-a-car, the only company that responded to my English language emails) won't activate them, they said I had to arrange that myself. I just paid at the toll gates.

What was cool, though, was how the in-car GPS told me how much the toll would be at each gate, and the total to the destination, gradually counting down at each toll gate.

With ETC you often get discounts though that the navi doesnt know about. Especially on weekends and between midnight - 6am. I've saved a fortune in 2 years with ETC.

Toyota rentacar has an english site and phoneline. They say on the site they most cars have ETC in, and other vehicles can have a portable ETC Machine put in if you have your own ETC card, however they told me they couldnt put it in trucks which seemed nonsensical to me.

I book through ToCoo. Through them you can book a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc as long as the company has an office at your location. I've got a Mazda with snow tyres, snowboard/ski rack booked through ToCoo, collect from Mazda desk at Narita. I've done this before and its quite simple. Last time I got upgraded for free from a small car to a 4WD MPV.

I had a problem with ToCoo! as well. I couldn't get the on-line reservation system to take my booking for some reason, so I gave up on them, and went with Nippon.

Got a Subaru Legacy last time at Narita, ski racks, snow tyres and a baby seat as well. Turned up a day late because of a flight delay, but no problems at the desk, even with my reservation confirmation only in English.

This time getting smething smaller, no wife or child this time biggrin