Booked a domestic flight from Haneda to New Chitose on tuesday, cost £78. All was well until about two minutes ago when out of idle curiousity i checked JAL's baggage policy for domestic flights.

Apparently I can only take 10kg of checked luggage. I'm screwed. I'm looking into another option my end, but wanted some informed opinions from you guys and gals.

Do you think/know of, a way to book excess baggage and save being shafted on the cost? For example Ryan Air allow you to purchase space for a ski bag.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before, and if so how did you get round it?

Ahhhhhhh, please help. Departure for Japan is two and a half weeks away.

That is easy. When you get to the airport, just look for the express delivery signs. In Japanese it is called "takyubin" (pronounced tack-yoo-bin). Send it using one of those companies and it will turn up the next day and it totally amazingly reliable. Excellent service. There's a few main companies. Easy to find and if you can't just ask for tack-yoo-bin.

Really? They limit you to 10kg? That must have changed recently. I've never had an issue with this on domestic flights before. Try checking in with your boardbag and see if they hassle you. If not, you're good to go - otherwise, take a walk over to the Yamato counter.

The gear probably wont arrive with you though - but for you not a problem really as you will want a day or two to familiarise yourself with the surroundings and get settled for the entire season. So your kit arriving the next day is probably just perfect.

No need to book in advance it is very very easy to use service - even for English speaking gaijin. SO efficient!!

Look for the Black Cat sign or the Pelican Sign when you pass out of immigration and baggage pick up at Narita. Have your address ready and the guy will help you to fill in the form. Easy as pie, you can then get your ass to Haneda, relax with a beer and ease into Hokkaido with no worries about your bags.

Is this really the case?

I am arriving with a friend in January for 6 days in Niseko and then 6 days in Hakuba but we will be transferring straight to Niseko the same evening with a view to getting on the slopes early the next day (due to limited time).

if i Takkyuba at lunchtime on a saturday what chances it will be in Niseko early sunday morning?

is there an excess payment option on flights?

cheers

p.s. - Niseko Instructor - where did you book your flights?

My flights into and out of Japan I booked as part of my northern hemisphere trip with STA travel.

London - Tokyo (nov 15th)

Tokyo - Auckland (april 17th)

Auckland - Vancouver (april 19th)

Calgary - London (may 23rd)

P.S. going to Auckland saved me 400 quid over going direct to Vancouver from tokyo.

Those flights cost 1200 including all taxes and booking fee.

My flight from toyko to sapporo i booked via a Japanese travel agent in london on (number 105 I think) Great Portland Street near Oxford Circus tube.

Search for JAL or ANA and find their U.K. travel agents, and call in and see one in person. It will take you a while, nut if you bring all you documents, and are patient you can get wicked deals.

my internal flight cost 78 including all taxes, fees etc.

If you need any more info Private Message me.

Originally Posted By: tfcjaga
Is this really the case?

I am arriving with a friend in January for 6 days in Niseko and then 6 days in Hakuba but we will be transferring straight to Niseko the same evening with a view to getting on the slopes early the next day (due to limited time).

if i Takkyuba at lunchtime on a saturday what chances it will be in Niseko early sunday morning?

is there an excess payment option on flights?

cheers

p.s. - Niseko Instructor - where did you book your flights?

Don't know that answer. Sorry.
We did investigate getting our gear sent up to Niseko a little late in the planning (we were leaving the next day) and we were TOLD (not that it is guarenteed correct for all carriers or situations - just what we were told) that we needed to allow 3 days to get the gear from Tokyo to Niseko - should arrive in two, but allow 3 so we are not disappointed. To resorts on Honshu it would be overnight they said. We therefore decided to take our bags with us, and we were not charged excess baggage although we were half expecting it. Where we DID get hit was coming home on an international flight at the every end....suppose I bought too many souveniers! doh

I am a little freaked out also. 2 of our friends are stopping over for 3 days in Toyko (we are doing the direct Aus - Toyko - Chitose transfer) are they going to e in the same case as you with a 10kg limit?? They both have all their ski gear? omg