Long distance bus from Hokkaido to Nagano?

Hi all,

I've heard that there are good value long distance buses that run from Sapporo to Honshu, but my internet searches and feeble attempts at getting info about inter-city bus services using my lame Japanese have so far come to nought. I want to get from Niseko to Nozawa Onsen in March 09, and the train looks pretty pricey. I don't want to fly as I want to see the countryside. Wife gets seasick so the ferry's out. We will have plenty of gear (snow and luggage), so the idea of sticking it on a bus and not having to change trains five times appeals. I could send gear via Takkyubin but I don't want to wait if it's dumping in N.O.

Am I crazy? Would it be a mind-bending endurance test (my bus form is reasonable, having taken long rickety busrides around Sumatra and India omg )?

Is it even possible? How does it cross the water to Honshu? On the ferry? Anyone? Thanks in advance for any info.

I don't know the details, but that would be a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG ride!! I use the bus to get up to the mountains in winter and its pretty uncomfortable and thats only 8hrs at the longest. I'm guessing that you wouldn't be able to get one direct to Noz from Sapporo, but would probably have to change at least once in Tokyo.

How about renting a car and driving it if you want to see the countryside?

I'm swiftly losing confidence that it's possible/feasible. I asked a lady at Bus Center Mae this arvo if there were any buses from Hokkaido to Honshu and she said "no - take the train" (very politely, of course).

Thanks anyway Ez. If you find anything out, I'm still keen to know. By the way, thanks also for suggesting (back in June) that I stay in Sapporo and get stuck into the local ski hills. I've decided to do pretty much exactly what you suggested. Sapporo is definitely cooler than it's big population suggests.

I'm getting a Kamori season pass so I'll go to Teine about three times a week and Rusutsu maybe once a fortnight. I'm carless so I'm wondering what public transport you suggest for Teine and Rusutsu. I live in Moiwa, so I'm thinking of getting a bus to JR Sapporo, then the JTB bus to Teine Highland. Or would it be quicker to get bus from Moiwa to Nishi 11, then Tozai line to Miyanosawa, then bus to T.H.?

As for Rusutsu, I've found Donan and Good Sports. Both cost about 4000 return and take about two hours. Anything better than them?

Thanks in advance. I was going to PM you, but thought maybe someone else might benefit from this info.

Fot Teine, I'd just as soon do the bus > Tozai/Nishi 11 > Tozai/Miyanosawa > bus to Teine. It'll probably work out quicker than the ekimae bus. You will also have the opportunity to hit whatever convenience store or bakery at the various stops for breakfast, drinks, or whatnot (I usually hit the department store at Miyanosawa on the way up from the subway station). You will be going in the opposite direction of the morning commuters, so it should be pretty easy and empty. You should be able to use your subway pass for all the buses along this route too.

For Rusutsu, I've caught Donan for sure, but I think also Chuo... maybe? IIRC, that's a scheduling thing - they all run the same route thru Nakayama-touge, but the Chuo ones run out of the Bus Center and the Donan run out of the Ekimae terminal. Grab the ski bus schedule from the rack at the Bus Center or the Ekimae terminal platform for the timetable.

I don't think there is a "liner bus" or any other supposedly direct or rapid bus to Rusutsu from Sapporo - I think those run only from the airport to the resorts, and they are not significantly faster.

Thanks heaps for the info Ez. I really appreciate it. I was pretty sure getting to Teine would be quicker if I avoided the ekimae during peak hour, even though it means an extra change.

There is a liner to Rusutsu, but it stops at a dozen hotels before finally hitting the road. Yawn...

Thanks again, and see you up there.