• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its any consolation, found out today that I MAY have torn my right bicep so after recovering from my toe this has now happened. And today found out I had won a lift pass for Myoko. Damn bad luck.

i reckon europe is the cheapest place to ski/ride right now - GBP300 or less for one week ex-London, includes airfare, transfers, accom, some even 5course dinners. you need to book last minute though. igluski.com

another GBP300 for a KL to London return by AirAsia.

Originally Posted By: thursday
other than seeing the situation of cancelling snow trips to Japan, what is the situation of Brits going to Europe? That must be harder hit???

The news over here is non stop doom and gloom! I have been shocked by how negative and sad it all sounds, it is way more pessimistic than the Aussie news was before I left. But having said that there has always been plenty of people shopping and in the resturants in London, Paris, Milan and Switzerland.... noone told them Britain was in a recession.

Someone told me they paid 7 euros for a hot chocolate at a mountain cafe at a French resort over the New Year. He only got 95 cents to the pound. So over £7 for a hot drink = 820 Yen at todays tourist rates. European mountain cafe prices were always ridiculous, now they're just unaffordable for Brits. At least if we'd joined the Euro we'd be able to take some comfort in taking the rest of Europe down with us wink

I always used to think winter sports were for the rich (hence my late conversion) and I think its returning to that state of affairs. The UK will be full of homegrown holiday makers next summer.

Someone before mentioned about being their job being recession proof; I was talking to a young part time worker at work today who works full time else where. She said this recession was pretty exciting doh 'well when you've got nothing to lose it's pretty exciting'.(She's just out of college and can nip home to ma and pa if things go tits up - try telling a blue collar worker who's just been sacked its exciting). She seems to think that her full time job is recession proof - it's Gov funded. I pointed out that with declining tax revenue and the UK's massive debt due to bailing out the banks cuts in Gov funding are likely. She didn't seem phased, but then again she doesn't have a family to support, a mortgage to pay, the prospect of unemployment crippling her career. She thinks now might may be a good time to buy a house......I told her to wait a year.(they'll be giving them away by then).

It's 3 for 2 right now, soon it will be 2 for 1 with houses.

What are those deals like in Boots and stuff now? 10 for 1? (Is Boots still going?)

lol

No funny though is it. Friends from back home tell me how grim things seem right now with lots of shops closing down in the high street etc.

• 1 month later...

We cancelled our trip. Friend got ill, aussie currency got ill, we got poor.

:(

Almost pleased personally that the snow has generally been not good (though obviously sorry for those who went with bad timing snow wise)

Hopefully things'll turn around for next season.

Originally Posted By: window-cleaner
Almost pleased personally that the snow has generally been not good (though obviously sorry for those who went with bad timing snow wise)

Any day on the hill is a good day. If you knew where to look this year things weren't bad at all. Was on the hill about 25 times this year with about 20 days of pow...
Originally Posted By: window-cleaner

smile We had a bit of that during the Aussie '06 season. we couldn't get to the snow, because of the arrival of our new-born son (on season opening day!), and rejoiced in the fact it was the worst season since records have been kept. Check the snow depth charts on the Thredbo website.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Any day on the hill is a good day. If you knew where to look this year things weren't bad at all. Was on the hill about 25 times this year with about 20 days of pow...

That's fine for people whoi live on/near the snow. They can just "duck out for a slide" whenever they can arrange the time off. For some of us, it is a major operation, getting there takes a day or more, accom has to be booked well ahead (at least if there are more than 6 in the group) and ... Arrrggh! We have to take whatthe conditions are like at the time!
That said, I've been lucky with only a few times where snow depths are measured in millimetres rather than centimetres (mainly in Oz, those ones!) and some awesome times on slope wioth great friends.

We were lucky in that we had a bit of flexibility and could swap Nagano for Hokkaido - and we'll be there soon. groovy

Always a worry a ski holiday, whats the snow gonna be like, biting nails worry worry. But you just got to make the most of what you end up with, no point in making it worse by moaning.