• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: keba
Zermatt? I hope you plan to change to skiing for that. A painful place to board, so many long traverses. And high altitude at the top of the gondola too, not much air up there...

No. Absolutely not. We will be boarding.
Have never been before - will be an experience.
The Papabear wanted to see other places - you know ...snowboard our way around the world... so we are. I lobbied heavily for a stop in Japan on the way there or on the way back - and I am lobbying for a March trip to Hakuba for my birthday.
GROAN doh traverses... ahhhh...welll. Will let you know how it stacks up upon return.

when will you be there MB, my brother and his mate is going out there the end of Feb I think. I couldn't convince them to come out here...their funeral!! lol
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
when will you be there MB, my brother and his mate is going out there the end of Feb I think. I couldn't convince them to come out here...their funeral!! lol

2 weeks in mid - late Janaury.

5 weeks all up... Doing the visit the rellies thing in the UK and Scotland first, then Paris and Milan - (Zermatt) - then finishing off with Munich. The European cultural tour with some snowboarding thrown in. Wanted to take the teenagers to Europe before they got thier own lives and ditched us! violin

Milan is a bit of a let down, it looks nice except for the first 6ft of every building as its covered in graffiti. Munich is an awesome place, really beautiful city, great beer and great food. If you are craving some Japanese food there is a Japanese restaurant just off of the main square that was ok. Where in Scotland is the family?

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Milan is a bit of a let down, it looks nice except for the first 6ft of every building as its covered in graffiti. Munich is an awesome place, really beautiful city, great beer and great food. If you are craving some Japanese food there is a Japanese restaurant just off of the main square that was ok. Where in Scotland is the family?

Anwering in reverse order:
Family in Scotland - last one left is spinster Great Aunt Isabel (my paternal grandfathers sister) - she is in Edinburgh and always has been. She was an oft visitor to the Australian family and I recall her visits in my childhood with great fondness. Her last trip down under was just the day after bear cub #4 was born, so she was SO excited! He is now 9 years old. We send her new pictures of the kids every few months or so. And we visited her 3 yrs ago when Papa and I were in Dublin for a conference (flew over just to say hi)....she LOVED the visit. She had a stroke this year, but is back home a little worse for wear now. So assuming she is OK come late December we will head up with the kids for a visit - will mean the world to her. Rest of the relatives are spread across England, and one in France (well half the year anyway).

Munich - planning on taking the family to Dachau (gulp) but beer and sausage is definately on the MUST DO list. As for Japanese food...nah...we will be back in Japan before too long. Munich is for German food thumbsup

Milan - my kids are Italian food nuts...so to EAT Italian food in Italy is worth the quick stop in Milan. Papabear also wants to see "The Last Supper" while there. I am keen on SHOES evilgrin We are only there for 2 nights - so not enough time to be disappointed I would think.

You have to make a viewing appointment to see the Last Supper. When I was there I couldn't do it because there was a waiting list so the sooner you reserve the better I guess. Don't get me wrong, I liked Milan, it IS a nice looking city. I dunno what I expected but it kinda felt like a let down. I got to watch AC Milan play though, which was great and yeah the food is amazing!! Il Duomo is pretty impressive, as is the Shopping Mall plaza thats next to it, very high end couture!! (I'm sure you'll like it MB). get your hubby a beer in the square while you disappear in there with the credit cards!! smile

Keba I'm with you. If we were local skiers in Japan and our dollar had plummeted we all would be okay but we wouldn't get the overseas trade.

HENCE if you are in Japan - Hong Kong - Singapore - UK - US everything is AOK because the yen hasn't plummeted like it has for us Australians and I believe that a lot of the winter ski trade comes from AUS.

Like I said in another thread. We were lucky and paid for our trip in full before the meltdown BUT now when we get there FOOD - EXCURSIONS - SOUVENIORS are all going to expensive for us.

I have got a least 6 of our friends that were coming that have now cancelled.

Quote:
HENCE if you are in Japan - Hong Kong - Singapore - UK - US everything is AOK because the yen hasn't plummeted like it has for us Australians

June: 1 pound = 220 yen
Now: 1 pound = 150 yen

(About).

Hardly havin' a laff is it now?
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Quote:
HENCE if you are in Japan - Hong Kong - Singapore - UK - US everything is AOK because the yen hasn't plummeted like it has for us Australians

June: 1 pound = 220 yen
Now: 1 pound = 150 yen

(About).

Hardly havin' a laff is it now?

Revenge of the yen earners! Suddenly a trip to RMR and Kicking Horse doesn't seem so crazy...

Depends how long this recession lasts. If commodity prices stay down beacause of reduced worldwide demand, the AUD will stink for a while. I think (hope) it will probably get a bit better by January/February, but I doubt we'll see it up at 100Y like it was a few months ago.

I will only cancel my travel plans if I wake up with a headache or the weather is really bad. wink

Seriously, I hope it doesn't affect too many people. Resorts etc can do without another big headache and numbers going down.

Cancelling a holiday sounds like one of the worst depressing things to have to contemplate. I'm not overseas but it would have to be reallllly bad for me to do that.

Originally Posted By: keba
England in mid-winter... happy happy joy joy rolleyes

haha yeah, you could even get some "shred time" on at the snow domes and snow flex runs that have sprung up!! wink