Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Shiga Kogen on December 20th through to the 24th this year. Its only a short stay as we are doing a 14 day rail trip around Japan before hand and I convinced her that we should visit the snow as well while we are there!

I've been to Niseko twice before (and wont be going back anytime soon thanks to the thounsands of people from Australia who have ruined it) so I've got a fairly good idea about the culture and people, and its my girlfriends first trip there.

I know its not the best part of the season, but we had to go at that time due to work commitments and things so it was our only option, does anyone know what the conditions will be like at that time? I've looked back and seen around that time in previous years there is around 50 to 200 cms of base at that time, is that enough to open the hole resort?

We are staying at the Shiga Kogen Prince Hotel (Yakebitaiyama Ski Area). Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice for that location or Shiga Kogen in general?

Thanks in advance! smile

Brett

>I know its not the best part of the season, but we had to go at that time due to work commitments and things so it was our only option, does anyone know what the conditions will be like at that time? I've looked back and seen around that time in previous years there is around 50 to 200 cms of base at that time, is that enough to open the hole resort?

I spent 3 years there round that time taking my jhs/hs kids on a ski trip and we always had pretty damn good conditions. 2005 was off the hook!! I had the powder courses over at Yokoteyama all to myself and usually did. That said, I wouldnt spend much time over there. I have wanted to hit Yokoteyama for some time. Anyways, to answer your Q, the snow then has always been good. It still is the best powder snow I have had in Japan, bar none.

Originally Posted By: HotMagma
Have you looked back at the Shiga Kogen Now reports? I'm sure that would give you an idea of what was open in recent seasons.

Yeah thats where I've been looking at the archive of the reports, thanks.

Creekboy, whats it like getting around from each resort? Is it similar to Niseko where they have a free bus that just does a circular run around the place all day?

Yes there is a free bus that goes round the whole place.

Okushiga Kogen >> Maruika is all skiable.

Kumanoyu >> Yokoteyama is all skiable.

The only area that is not linked up is between those two areas and you hop on the bus for that.