• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday 20 November 2008

Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido

24 at the door.

24cm in the past 24 hrs at MQ in the St Moritz / Kabayama area of Hirafu at an altitude of approx. 250m

Cold, dry pow.

Set off from the cabin at 8:15 and got to Ace Hill at 10.

At least 50cm all over the mountain with continual snowfall since 8 this morning.

Ace Hill down to the start of the Kokutai Course was less than epic. It entailed me straight lining and poling and travelling about 1 km per day. The bottom third of the descent wasn't much better.

But the filling in the sandwich - the turns on Kokutai Course - was powtastic. Boot top to mid-thigh with legit chest and face shots. Superlight.

My uptrack was barely visible as I made my way to the Alpen Hotel.

Spoke with patrol and they were very non-commital about Saturday's proposed opening. If the wheels do turn, then downloading on the Ace Quad will be the order of the day. They were roping off everything below Ace Hill as I dropped in.

By the time I got back to the cabin it was time to shovel again. At least 10cm had fallen in the time I was out.

No sign of this letting up, so expect 1 to 1.5m to have fallen come opening day.

EDIT: Fallen rather than base. My bad. doh

No pics sorry. Me, myself and I and it was dumping the whole time.

Big Thursday indeed Go Native.

in your experience does this first snow of the season (being 1-1.5 in MikePows estimation) usually stick around or does it dissapear with the real - long term - base settling down in mid december?

is this as good a start as any in recent years in Niseko?

Originally Posted By: samwillis5
in your experience does this first snow of the season (being 1-1.5 in MikePows estimation) usually stick around or does it dissapear with the real - long term - base settling down in mid december?

is this as good a start as any in recent years in Niseko?

All depends if it warms up and heaven forbid it rains.

Similar pattern to the last two seasons, but we did get rain in December in 06 and 07.

If we get 1.5m out of this storm that won't equate to a 1.5m base. The snow's too light.

Friday 21 November 2008

27 at the door.

27cm in the past 24 hrs at MQ.

Heavier snow, but not by much.

Tried to ski Niseko Village this morning. There was a rumour that it was getting the jump on Grand Hirafu. Unfortunately not. Opportunity knocked and no one answered. Story of this town unfortunately.

Set off from the base of the Ace Quad around 8:45 and called it quits just below Ace Hill. It was deep and heavy boot packing up. Up to 80cm depth in parts. Average of 60cm.

But the sun came out for a while which was rather special.

"He'll be coming round the mountain when he comes..."

MikePow_65.jpg

Skiing was easier today. More of a base from the heavier snow and the surface snow warming in the sun. Still got some depth though. The benefits of being a bigger unit. But not flying everywhere like it did yesterday.

But since I got back in around lunchtime, there's been a steady fall of big flaked light snow coming down.

Could be pretty enjoyable tomorrow for opening day.

It's just a pity that if they do open, then the best terrain will not be available.

If they don't open then they deserve to handcuffed to a piss pot. No excuse.

Might have to invest in a helmet cam for all these solo hikes I do.

Saturday 22 November 2008

11cm in the past 24 hrs at MQ.

Friday evening was rocking in Hirafu for the first time in ages.

Niseko Pizza had its 'official' opening party in the early afternoon that soon became the late evening.

Then it was on to a nomi houdai (all you can drink) at Apres Bar. 1,500 yen smile

And then back down the hill to Jam Bar's opening night after refurbishment. Another nomi houdai, this time free, gratis and for nothing banner

OPENING DAY FOR GRAND HIRAFU SKI AREA

Plans to get first chair went out of the window when I woke at 7:45 and I got to the bottom of the Ace Quad just as Glen was being whisked up the hill on first chair. Good effort son.

It was odd to ride the chair after hiking these past weeks and to see tracks plural as opposed to my solitary line on the mountain.

I honestly didn't think we'd have opening day earlier in the week, and I'm still amazed that 3 solid days of snowfall was all it took to get the lifts turning.

I picked up my season pass yesterday which was a big improvement on the debacle last season when the season pass office opened at 8:20 on opening day angry

And when I got to the Ace Hill I was met with a very unexpected surprise. Patrol and the grooming crew had opened the hill back down to the base of the quad.

I've been very critical of the Grand Hirafu mountain ops but today they exceeded my expectations. Kudos. worship

And the conditions?

Best opening day I've had. The snow was deep, light, consistent and with very few people on the hill there was plenty of pow to go round.

Even the sun made an appearance for 15 mins or so.

Rode with Wild Bill's barman Ben Gillespie for the morning and had a blast. It was great to put the laps in.

Ben launching off the summer access road

MikePow_66.jpg

It's been snowing for most most of the day, so tomorrow's turns should be even better smile

That's if Wild Bill's nomi houdai doesn't do too much damage cheers

As usual GREAT REPORT & PHOTO Mike Thanks omg

Day was a little depressing over here in Oz - Logged on first thing to see the massive queues and knee deep powder and all the webcams were down sadface Looks like you are meant to have light snow all day LUCKY LUCKY!!!

I don't know what we will do over here if the cams don't come back on. wakaranai

Cheers guys.

RobBright,

Nikon D70S and my good friend Photo-chop wink

Sunday 23 November 2008

26cm in the past 24 hrs at MQ.

Great nomi houdai at Wild Bills. Most of the village was there. Real buzz at the moment. Lots of familiar faces, plenty of new ones too. More ladies in town it seems this winter. Niseko to lose its 'Sausage Fest' reputation? Only time will tell.

Pulled an all nighter after Wild Bills watching the rugby from Europe, so today's turns at Annupuri were less than stellar. Opening day there and there were plenty of good turns to be had. A little windblown in places and a little bare in others, but a solid start to the season. Katsu curry was top notch. Just what the doctor ordered.