• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early snowfalls mean nothing anyway. One of the biggest snowfall years in the last decade was 04/05 and that year there was hardly any snow to village level until mid December. Still ended up with over 14m in Kutchan. Last year had early snow but barely made 10m.

Definitely. Well, I'd say so based on my experiences here, I'm no expert. What it does do though is make people more excited. smile

But even after the first snow on the top of the mountains, there is usually a 20cm or so fall of snow at town level ---- and that disappears before the real snow that sticks around starts proper. Don't know why that is but it seems to happen, any proper explanation Go Native?

I remember getting excited last year at the first early snowfall and YES everyone in the no said early snowfalls don't always make for a good season - But it is still exciting.

Friends were there for that epic year and they said it was totally surreal.

First frost in Nikko as well of all places the other morning.

Warmed up a bit since then I think though.

Whats this doing in the Snow to near village (Niseko) thread?

Surely we will get a 09/10 version complete with more appropriate subject? wink

I'd love to, but at this stage I may have to skip this season to spend time back in Wales looking after my parents.

It would be great if someone could pick up the baton.

And if I can't make it back to Hirafu, then rest assured there'll be TRs every time more than 7 flakes accumulate from the Brecon Beacons and if I'm lucky the Valleys.

• 1 month later...

Saturday 31 October 2009

Just been reliably informed by Glen that the first snow is falling and sticking at village level.

Have a scroll back through last winter to see what's on the cards.

Happy Halloween.