• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great photos as always Mike.

Are there still no foreign managers up at Tokyu? (Not that they are necessarily 'better', just to breathe some life and different ideas into the mix).

Friday 10 April through to Tuesday 14 April 2009

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

0cm in this time period at MQ

Sunny skies and great turns to be had for at least a couple of hours each day.

Longest period without any snowfall all season - 13 days.

Yotei on Friday hopefully.

Before the pow returns wink

Originally Posted By: MikePow

Before the pow returns wink

Could happen but you might have to go into Center of the island (That is, central Hokkaido, not Shikoku. Our powder season's over fur sure).

Wednesday 15 April through to Sunday 14 April 2009

A mixed Spring bag of cloudy grey skies, light rain, and sunshine these past 5 days.

Had some beautiful sunsets recently.

Moonrise above Mt An'nupuri from Goshiki Onsen

MikePow_410.jpg

Spring melt at the foot of Mt Yotei

MikePow_411.jpg

Sunset on Mt Yotei

MikePow_412.jpg

The No Friends on a Corn Day TR

(actually, the No Friends Solo Up Yotei TR)

Thursday night was cold and clear, and Friday dawned sunny and cloudless.

I left the Hangetsu trailhead off Route 5 at 9:30 for the boot pack up the NW face of Mt Yotei. The walking was great with minimal breakage of the snow surface.

Caught up with a Japanese snowshoer from the Toyako region half way up the hill and we shared thoughts and stories over a break of plain white bread, chocolate and coke - him - and chocolate and water - me.

63 years old. I hope I'm able to still climb Yotei in 20 years.

Niseko Resort Area from the slopes of Mt Yotei

MikePow_413.jpg

MY prize for the three hour bootpack was the north-facing dog leg gully that has tantalised me on every trip to Kutchan.

The entrance was rocky, wind blown and hard packed. Even at 12:30pm under sunny skies.

MikePow_414.jpg

Looking back up about a quarter of the way down

MikePow_415.jpg

If I said that the skiing was awesome I'd have a bigger nose than Pinocchio. Exciting and challenging yes. The fillings held though.

The snow finally softened and dodging embedded rocks and small rocks racing me down the gully aside, the skiing was fabulous.

The lower I got the steeper the sides of the natural half pipe created by many winters of avalanche and erosion became.

I was making huge GS turns 20-30 feet up the sides of the gully, when the 'Spidey Senses' started tingling. I could see the gully twisting and turning ahead of me, but something just didn't feel right.

Turning higher on the side of the gully I came to a stop with the tips of my skis just over the edge of a dry waterfall.

The snow had melted and broken away from the face of the waterfall exposing sasa, trees and rocks and a 30-40 ft vertical wall below me.

In the right conditions, a rock star could have launched into the abyss, stomped the landing, and skied the remainder of the gully.

These were not the right conditions and I was not that rock star.

I clicked out and climbed out of the gully. Once on top of the gully I clicked back in and followed the river course until it was safe to drop back in.

The line (the dry waterfall is three switchbacks from where I took this pic)

MikePow_416.jpg

The pitch flattened out and I cruised the last couple of km through the forest until I reached the rice paddies in the valley floor.

Bidding a farmer a hearty 'konnichiwa' as I walked across his field to the road I had time to reflect on the line before the clouds rolled in.

MikePow_417.jpg

Some great pics there MikePow. (choosing which one to use as a wall paper)

We should try to catch up next season (I was there in December and I want to go again smile )

Fantastic report Mike. Thanks for all the effort you have put into keeping us updated on the season todate. I'm counting the days until I get back there on the 29th Jan 2010.

OUTSTANDING - Thank you for taking the time to share your daily adventures in words and FABULOUS PHOTO'S and keeping us up to date with your reports. I read them everyday. thumbsup

We are just starting to plan our trip for next year so your reports will once again be followed daily.

Enjoy your off time over the summer period.

BY THE WAY LOVING THE YOUTEI PHOTO'S party

MIKEPOW worship

Too kind. Thanks.

Monday 20 April through to Thursday 23 April 2009

Monday was sunny and glorious with some great turns to be had top to bottom.

Tuesday cloudy, and yesterday it chucked it down.

Tokyu's decision to create a white ribbon of death down to the Alpen hotel has bitten them in the arse. Barely enough snow to ski back to the lift. Won't last another week.

The good news though is light flurries in the village, the freezing level dropping and 27cm forecast between Saturday night and Monday morning.

Watch this space smile

Originally Posted By: MikePow

Tokyu's decision to create a white ribbon of death down to the Alpen hotel has bitten them in the arse. Barely enough snow to ski back to the lift. Won't last another week.

Trying to visualise this - any chance of a pic?
I know 2 yrs ago there was a rapid thaw while we were there and it went from the whole hill covered in white, to a narrow strip to get through in one patch opening wider again once past it.
what did they do?