Hornster, The Japan Met Service 7 Day Forecast for Sapporo is now indicating snow falls for Mon,Tue & Wed next week. I guessing that even though they are further to the north and a little more inland that is a good sign for those of us heading to Niseko. I've read on another forum that NW winds are the go for snow falls in Niseko.

When do you and your crew arrive.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I now officially am on a cocktail of Valium & Prozac. Yesterday I rang everyone all excited as there was going to be good snow over the weekend which was going to cover all the damage from the unseasonal rain for we we got there.

WHERE DID MY HEAVY SNOW FALLS GO?????? Tokabochi reported in the SJ Chatbox that Sapporo has run into trouble with their Ice Festival because of lack of snow. GREAT we start in Sapporo at the Ice Festival then head down to Niseko.

I think I have been cursed because I ranted so much about it and am bringing my friends the snow gods have thrown in a bad season.

Wasn't last year meant to be worse??

Snowhuntress,

Is Tokabochi taking about the Sapporo Ice Festival or one on the main Island.

Niseko is looking good at the moment, on track to reach the 3MTR of snow fall for the month of Jan and the forecasts are looking good for next week. Snowforcast still has a conservative forecast for 29cm for Saturday night and as I posted previously the Japan MET has snow forecasts for Mon thru to Wed in Sapporo next week. This time last week things weren't looking the best with little predicated snowfall but until yesterday they have reported 90cm since Saturday, I'd be happy if we get similar next week.

I know how you feel as I have talked a crew into making there first trip, leaving this Sat, and I would be devastated if they don't get to experience any of the Japow that I've been lucky enough to have had on previous trips. From the point of view of an amateur weather paten reader I'm feeling confident that we will get the goods next week. Hang in there

Thanks guys have decided to take my valium without a vodka shot.

I know last year we only had a 260cm base and this year it is 330cm base. I wouldn't care if it was just me GOD one day of snow fall and I am a happy camper. I am just stressing because of everyone coming with us.

AH YES but on the other hand they don't know what a good season is in Japan so HEY its gonna be ALL GOOD!! smile

ratherb@thesnow,

We (wife and I) arrive on Sunday evening making our first day on the mountain Monday morning - first gondola for first tracks as always!!

How about yourself? Are you looking for someone to ski with?

Just interested about when you get there, like me you are probably keeping an eye on the weather for next week. We get there Sunday afternoon as well. I'm traveling with two other boarders and one skier so it should be fun

Great to meet Keba and Phool yesterday at Rusutsu. Albeit briefly.

Not deep over here, but yesterday was one of the days of the season for me. Glorious sunshine and featherlight boot top pow. And it was mine, all mine I tell ya wink

Pics later

Well we did get out to Weiss and landed in some heavy, knee-deep stuff with no visibilty for one run, then hit Kutchan for lunch. Was untracked when we got there, and found out why quickly.

Japan2009%20001.jpg

It's hard to really capture the look on Phool's face as the Cat disappeared into the void, leaving us on that windy, forlorn peak. Luckily, we didn't commit to the 3 ride option, one was plenty.

Sorry Cheeseman, no cheese up there...

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

15cm in the past 24 hrs reported by the Niseko Avalanche Information web site.

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Rusutsu Resort

14cm in the past 24 hrs at Hotel Romulus.

Fourth sunny day in a row at Rusutsu with a bigger fall than in previous nights.

Fabulous day.

Alex hitting the pow on West Mt

MikePow_216.jpg

MikePow_217.jpg

MikePow_218.jpg

Hayden hitting the air and pow on West Mt

MikePow_219.jpg

MikePow_220.jpg

Had a good day at Rusutsu today. Bluebird, cold, light wind, stunning ocean/Toyako/Youtei views and enough snow from Sunday night to make tree rides fun. If you could find where it had accumulated it was heaps of fun. Only about 15cm though, and the place was more crowded than I've seen it previously so it got tracked pretty quick. The sound of the crusty past was never far from the ear but I'd still say it's worth a go tomorrow.

Strange thing that I've noticed about Rusutsu - if I go super-stealth covert off-piste striking out deep into dark corners, I usually find it tracked-out. If I just do a dozy drop off the side of a busy piste, I often find it fresh and clean.

Odd.

Nope.

Got back from Rusutsu yesterday after skiing Shiribetsu-dake in sunshine and mid-thigh powder.

Woke up to 11cm at the door this morning and it's coming down nicely as I write.

Will play catch up later or tomorrow.

A pint at Paddy's has my name on it wink