• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forecast for the next 7 days doesn't show a great deal of predicted snow fall, anyone have any thoughts on what we might get. I'm arriving on the 1st of Feb and I'm obviously interested on what we might get that week so I'm counting down the days and keenly watching the seven day forecasts.

CHECK OUT THE 7 day report now thumbsup MODERATE snow from Friday night to Saturday night with the rain on Thursday night now changed to snow showers. YAHOO!! Bring it on we leave in 13 days and counting. I new Niseko wouldn't let us down. groovy

I was a bit worried for a while there with the January Rain.

Sunday 25 January 2009

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

25cm in the past 24 hrs reported by the Niseko Avalanche Information web site.

Mates said that the crunch was almost gone and there were plenty of pockets of deep.

Sunday 25 January 2009

Rusutsu Resort

5cm in the past 24 hrs at Hotel Romulus.

Glorious sunshine and unlimited vistas in Rusutsu all day.

Colder temps than the previous couple of days, between -7 and - 13 C.

The lower angle slopes had a soft 10cm coverage above the frozen rain crust which made for fast and enjoyable turns in the birch forests. The shadows on the snow were mesmerising.

On steeper slopes the new snow was sloughing off leaving a scratchy surface.

Either there was more rain here, or Rusutsu has has much less snow than the Niseko Resort Area, or both because there was plenty of sasa showing through.

Won't take much for it to be on though smile

Mt Yotei from East Mountain

MikePow_210.jpg

Monday 26 January 2009

5cm in the past 24 hrs reported by the Niseko Avalanche Information web site.

Mates said that there was plenty of boot top pow to be found at Chisenupurri.

Monday 26 January 2009

Rusutsu Resort

7cm in the past 24 hrs at Hotel Romulus.

Another sunny day in Rusutsu and not as cold as yesterday.

Slopes were deserted.

The extra 7cm made for even more enjoyable low angle tree runs.

Trying really hard to snow. Who knows?

Here's hoping they've underestimated the amounts like they usually do! Still it's quite a few days off yet and the tracking of the system could change significantly. Fingers crossed it comes off as predicted as it will really get the base up to a level that will mean plenty of Spring skiing later in the season.

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow
Snow-Forecast is now indicating no new snow for Fri & Sat. That was a quick turn around or maybe a glich with there web page.

Does look like the system may move a little too far to the east and miss us almost entirely. Eastern Hokkaido will probably go off though! razz

I wouldn't be too concerned - i'm not sure how accurate snow-forecast is. Many times this year they have forecast no snow in Niseko and this site and MikePow report 20-30cm has actually fallen. Similarly, when they do forecast snow they seem to under-estimate by 50% or more.

Tuesday 27 January 2009

10cm in the past 24 hrs reported by the Niseko Avalanche Information web site.

Mates said that there was plenty of knee deep pow to be found in Hanazono.

Tuesday 27 January 2009

Rusutsu Resort

9cm in the past 24 hrs at Hotel Romulus.

Third sunny day in a row at Rusutsu with another light fall overnight.

Walked to the lifts this morning and passed by this fixer upper wink

MikePow_211.jpg

Spectacular views though

MikePow_212.jpg

MikePow_213.jpg

Skiing with the Lovelock family this week. Hayden is trying to hit every feature in Rusutsu. He came in a little too hot for this one.

MikePow_214.jpg

MikePow_215.jpg

But fair play, he dusted himself down and skied off in search of more.

It started dumping on the way back over to West Mt and in less than an hour there was 10cm on the groomers. And then it stopped :(

More forecast for tonight.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Sunday 25 January 2009
Rusutsu Resort

Either there was more rain here, or Rusutsu has has much less snow than the Niseko Resort Area, or both because there was plenty of sasa showing through.

That's what I've been spinning out about all season, Mike. Each time I get home from Rusutsu and read your Niseko report, I find it hard to believe your just a short plain and a Youtei away. I've had some great days at Rusutsu, but the amount of snow has been very different.

bit tragic really. sitting in kutchan last 2 nights ~35cm and each day at rusutsu only light cover. quite tracked out at R presently. slim cover of fresh on crust. thinking about skiing the kutchan carpark!