• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all.

Thursday 08 January 2009

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

1cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Red sky in the morning shepherd's warning.

But the clouds stayed away for a glorious bluebird day on the slopes. There was still plenty of powder left over from yesterday's 'feeding frenzy', especially on the north facing slopes.

There were a few glide cracks appearing beyond the 'cornice' area above Jackson's, so be careful out there.

Mt Yotei at sunrise

MikePow_162.jpg

Garo-no-taki at sunrise

MikePow_163.jpg

Scout dropping back into Super course

MikePow_164.jpg

Jag below Parallel course

MikePow_165.jpg

Jag below Parallel course

MikePow_166.jpg

Jag threading the needle in Waterfall. This is one of my favourites of Jag. Pure enjoyment and relaxation captured.

MikePow_167.jpg

Friday 09 January 2009

0cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

No new snow this morning, but snowfall every day for the past 20 days straight dropped 306cm of premium quality pow.

103 cm already in January, and 543cm so far this season. That's 214" in old money.

Got these pics from Ben Gillespie taken in Moiwa yesterday. Bluebird, powder, deserted. A normal Moiwa day.

Jess

MikePow_168.jpg

Ben

MikePow_169.jpg

Saturday 10 January 2009

0cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

But it started snowing around 6:30am and hasn't stopped. At least 20cm so far.

Tomorrow will be good smile

Funny Question!! My Nephew who has NEVER Snowboarded before went to NZ last year had 1 lesson and was doing Blackruns. I have been skiing awhile now have done US, Canada, NZ & Japan ans still can't do black runs.

Now is it that I am not 20 anymore with no fear and at my age am into self preservation or that perhaps just an idiot!! lol

Mikepow do you hire your services out for back country guiding/photography? What do I need to do to PM a person? every time I try it just comes up telling me that PM is disabled

Originally Posted By: snowhunter
Funny Question!! My Nephew who has NEVER Snowboarded before went to NZ last year had 1 lesson and was doing Blackruns. I have been skiing awhile now have done US, Canada, NZ & Japan ans still can't do black runs.

Now is it that I am not 20 anymore with no fear and at my age am into self preservation or that perhaps just an idiot!! lol

I find that 'amazing'. when i was learning, at the end of the first lesson, all we were taught was falling leaf. I progressed through the levels up to level 5, where we had people joining our group who had had 1 lesson, but claimed to be doing blackruns. however, in reality, all they were doing was falling leaf all the way down the blackruns, so they got kicked out of our lesson back to a level 2 or 3.

I find that 'amazing'. when i was learning, at the end of the first lesson, all we were taught was falling leaf. I progressed through the levels up to level 5, where we had people joining our group who had had 1 lesson, but claimed to be doing blackruns. however, in reality, all they were doing was falling leaf all the way down the blackruns, so they got kicked out of our lesson back to a level 2 or 3.

Out of interest, what are the different levels? I had one lesson at an inside ski dome in Tokyo (since closed down I think).

LOL Gimp, thats probably a very good question, and I'm sure it differs at schools and resorts

Ive learned at Thredbo (australia) and we get taught standing up and falling leaf (heelside and toeside), then turning, then linking turns, and carving,then fakies, jumps and getting air, riding t-bars. Levels 4 and 5 are as much about fine-tuning than learning new things

I cant see how anyone could do all of that after just one lesson (unless a freak of course!!)

Hey all, Ben here (clown suit)..pictured in some of the posts from the main man Mike Pow.. reading the stuff about lessons. I only ever had one half day lesson and basically the rest comes down to persistance and location location location!. Hope to get some time out with Mike again soon and get some more pics! stay tuned

Valid point Beans, perhaps i misunderstood Snowhunter's post. I assumed Snowhunter meant that at the end of lesson one was doing blackruns. However, it could mean "has one lesson (then, some time later, with loads of persistence and broken bone) is now doing blackruns lol

EDIT: also Snowhunter, not having a go at you, some people often tend to 'emphasise' their capabilities

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
LOL Gimp, thats probably a very good question, and I'm sure it differs at schools and resorts

Ive learned at Thredbo (australia) and we get taught standing up and falling leaf (heelside and toeside), then turning, then linking turns, and carving,then fakies, jumps and getting air, riding t-bars. Levels 4 and 5 are as much about fine-tuning than learning new things

I cant see how anyone could do all of that after just one lesson (unless a freak of course!!)

It's quite easy to get to a handy level of snowboarding if you cut out all the hard stuff like rails and jumps and parks and just stick with pow! wink

Yeah true.. but for the beginners remember-Its not all about being able to do black runs, allot of the best terrain is in the intermediate areas, it just comes down to how you use the natural features provided..wether its beginner,or advanced. Either way as long as your enjoying yourself thats the main reason we participate in snow sports. Theres always going to be someone better than you and hopefully someone worse! hahaha

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow
Mikepow do you hire your services out for back country guiding/photography? What do I need to do to PM a person? every time I try it just comes up telling me that PM is disabled

Join the queue there is a bidding war on for Mike's services in Niseko lol

Sunday 11 January 2009

33cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Got off the King Triple chair, excitement building, and headed for what I thought would be over the head shots through Gate 5.

The reality? On my head shots as I punched through the wind scoured surface, through the wind packed pow and into the tree roots still lurking in the snowpack.

This was an upside down storm with better and lighter snow conditions at the base of the mountain.

The peak was closed due to high avalanche risk and there was avalanche debris in the face above Hanazono.

Looked like slow moving surface layer of 40-60cm of wind packed new snow had released on the January 9-10 surface hoar layer. Doubtful if it would have resulted in burial, more likely leg trauma.

Approx. 20 m start width, finishing approx. 150-200m wide. Ran from peak to treeline. Roughly where the traverse line would be from Gate 4.

Tracy made the most of the variable conditions

MikePow_170.jpg

MikePow_171.jpg

Had lunch at Ezo in Niseko Village. Average burger, terrible bloody mary and poor, slow service.

The house band, the Dirty T's, however were top notch.

Monday 12 January 2009

8cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Bluebird and crisp for most of the day. Glorious day.

The groomers were in excellent shape and some of the best corduroy I've skied anywhere.

Still pow to be found lower down in Hanazono.