• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow's forecast is strange here - 'cloudy becoming snow' (70% chance of snow between 6:00 and 12:00) Min 9 Max 14

wakaranai

Tomorrow night's low is 0 so they must be thinking of an early Friday max, then a quick plunge to get snow before 12:00.

Hey threadjack time... I may be staying at a hostel close to Asakusabashi station in Tokyo (Akihabera is just over 1 km away)..

Is there a sane way to get to Haneda Airport for a very early flight (flight leaves at 07:25 so I have to be there by the latest 06:45)

Can any1 give me advice ?

Originally Posted By: MikePow
http://www.snowjapan.com/e/snow-japan-photo-galleries/MikePow/MikePow_34.jpg

MikePow_34.jpg

And so it begins.

A little ragged on the up track, all came back quite nicely on the down track bestsnow

Nice to see you get some turns in there.....but it aint very steep! Actually looks a lot like my driveway wink
Maybe FT was right about Niseko lol
Originally Posted By: shadowtec
Hey threadjack time... I may be staying at a hostel close to Asakusabashi station in Tokyo (Akihabera is just over 1 km away)..

Is there a sane way to get to Haneda Airport for a very early flight (flight leaves at 07:25 so I have to be there by the latest 06:45)

Can any1 give me advice ?

Get yourself to Hamamatsucho station, its on the JR Yamanote line that loops around Tokyo, you can get the Monorail from there straight to Haneda. A monorail leaves there at 6.05 and will get you into Haneda by 6.30 thumbsup
Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: MikePow
http://www.snowjapan.com/e/snow-japan-photo-galleries/MikePow/MikePow_34.jpg

MikePow_34.jpg

And so it begins.

A little ragged on the up track, all came back quite nicely on the down track bestsnow

Nice to see you get some turns in there.....but it aint very steep! Actually looks a lot like my driveway wink
Maybe FT was right about Niseko lol

As there's not an abundance of TRs from around Japan I would have to guess that this is the bestsnow even with the lack of pitch wink

Had to ski lower angle on my first foray because it was going to grass. Or in this case gravel.

This is the cat track that takes you from Ace Hill down to the King Hooded Triple.

Saturday 08 November 2008

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido

Started snowing around 5ish last night.

Coming down pretty good but very small 'flake' size.

The village is covered this morning (2-5cm) but temps have risen and there is melting going on.

Still snowing as I write, but not enough to make turns.

Maybe tomorrow.

shadowtec, there's actually a much easier, cheaper and more direct route from Asakusabashi Station to Haneda Airport than Tubby Beaver suggests.

From Asakusabashi subway station (directly underneath the JR station as I recall) you can get direct trains to Haneda Airport. Note that not all trains go to Haneda, but the current timetable has the following departures which might suit your early flight (please double check when you are here):

05:50 d. Asakusabashi - 06:29 a. Haneda Airport (weekdays)

05:50 d. Asakusabashi - 06:30 a. Haneda Airport (Sat, Sun, National holidays)

This is a lot easier than all the changes involved in taking the Sobu Line-Yamanote Line-Monorail route and certainly faster, cheaper and less hassle if you have heavy luggage / skis as well.

Enjoy

SdS

>As there's not an abundance of TRs from around Japan I would have to guess that this is the bestsnow even with the lack of pitch wink

I would say that honor belongs to Shiga Kogen, but thats just my opinion smile

Ive had sick snow at most every resort Ive been too given the right conditions even Hiroshima can have good snow. All in all, Niseko has great snow and consistantly has it too; but so does Hakuba. My single best powder day was at Shiga.

Thanks a lot skidaisuki and Tubby Beaver this helps a lot. it's a shame the shops will be closed by the time I get there (arriving at Narita Airport and about 18:45)

/I cant wait till the trip

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
>As there's not an abundance of TRs from around Japan I would have to guess that this is the bestsnow even with the lack of pitch wink

I would say that honor belongs to Shiga Kogen, but thats just my opinion smile

Ive had sick snow at most every resort Ive been too given the right conditions even Hiroshima can have good snow. All in all, Niseko has great snow and consistantly has it too; but so does Hakuba. My single best powder day was at Shiga.

Got a friend whos already done 4 or 5 days skiing in Hakuba from the end of October onwards. He hiked up to Daiseki ("snowy gorge") and got 600m descents through 50-60cm of fresh snow.

Sunday 09 November 2008

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido

Cold, damp, grey, miserable day in Hirafu. Rain not snow.

Typical Sunday in Wales :(

The snow from earlier in the week is all but gone between the village to the top of Ace Quad. Above that is in the clouds so no idea.

Warm temps and sporadic rain forecast through to next Friday.