Tuesday 04 November 2008

Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido

Better late than never wink

Went to bed last night and it was puking wet, heavy glop at village level. Went to bed with a smile on my face.

Woke to the sound of the snow sliding off the roof of my cabin and somewhat clear skies.

Walked to the Ace Family area and then onwards and upwards to the 1,000m hut for my second day of the season.

5cm of snow at the base of the hill soon became boot top and knee deep as I ascended higher.

Blowing a gale at 1,000m but this will only help fill in the cracks between the Sasa.

Nasty little windpacked crust mixed with a frozen crust on the convex rollovers on Center Course. Won't be an issue avalanche wise as it looks like it's concentrated to the piste areas. They'll soon be bashed and all mixed in.

Skied Center Course and bounced along at a fair lick. Sinking in to boot top with the occasional pocket of knee deep.

Snow was much more solid and packed (the wind) than last week. Depth was between 40 and 80cm at 1,000m with approx. 20-25 cm over night.

Got to the Ace Hill and met up with local photographer Glen Claydon.

Did about 10 laps off Ace Hill to the base of the King Triple lift.

Glen Claydon Image

MikePow_35.jpg

Glen Claydon Image

MikePow_36.jpg

And then headed home. Was hoping to get down about half way before having to bootpack the remainder back to the Alpen Hotel, but the morning's snowfall combined with the wind created a base solid enough to support my bulk all the way to the bottom of the hill.

Glen Claydon Image

MikePow_37.jpg

Happy days.

Still snowing now, with more forecast tonight.

Happier days ahead.

Over and out. wavey

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sw33t I am planning my week long trip (first to japan) about the 9th onwads of december.... this has Cheared me up (I am buying the air ticket within the next 24 to 48 hours (I am trying to nail a trip to Sapporo via Hong Kong))

Thanks all.

Wednesday 05 November 2008

Stopped snowing mid-evening and got much colder than of late. Clear sky promised bluebird turns for today.

And there were. If you could get out of bed early enough. One lucky soul did and had glorious turns on aplenglow snow.

Glen and I set off around 7:45 in the am and each step upwards the sky became darker.

Yesterday's tracks had disappeared, with a consistent 10-15cm of new snow over the mountain.

Hiked to the top of the Swinging Monkey chair and skied the bottom part of Jumbo. Best turns of the day. Snow was still powdery.

Below Ace Hill the snow became spongy, wet and slow.

Still if we don't get rain today or tomorrow as forecast then it will make a great base.

Glen Claydon just below Ace Hill

MikePow_38.jpg

Glen about half way down

MikePow_39.jpg

Glen into the finalish stretch

MikePow_40.jpg

Me in the goldfish bowl (fisheye lens)

MikePow_41.jpg

Me later in that sequence

MikePow_42.jpg

Glen and I. Another great morning in Hirafu.

MikePow_43.jpg

Day off tomorrow.

Due to snow again Friday and through the weekend.

Stay tuned.

If the snow is like that now I love to know what it will be like in over a month's time

/I booked my plane tickets for my first japan snow trip today (still looking at the hotel booking)

// 9th (arrive in Niseko on the 10th) leaving on the 17th

/// I hope to learn how to go toe side this time smile

//// the slashies because I read fark to much

believe me shadowtec you will have your toe side perfected by the time you get back from JAPOW. Crashing onto nice soft dry POW gives a helluva lot more confidence to put it out there than crashing onto sheet ice! Just be aware the arms will ache for a few days from trying to get back up in the soft stuff.

Thursday 06 November 2008

Rained from yesterday afternoon through to the early hours of this morning. Torrential at times.

Woke to glorious sunshine and Indian Summer temperatures.

Reminded me of my forays into the snow back home in Wales. One day it's there, the next it's not.

Hard to believe Glen and I made turns on the hill yesterday.

MikePow_44.jpg

Perfect day for a day off snow.

Snow forecast for the weekend. And more importantly colder temps.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
believe me shadowtec you will have your toe side perfected by the time you get back from JAPOW. Crashing onto nice soft dry POW gives a helluva lot more confidence to put it out there than crashing onto sheet ice! Just be aware the arms will ache for a few days from trying to get back up in the soft stuff.

Thanks for that mate.. I am a big bugger who finds it hard enough to get off his bum in the fist place (I get over it) I am in the process of booking my room at Resort House so I hope to have a great time (something to look forward to)

Edit: I need a place to stay in tokyo for the night near Haneda Airport (I am thinking of trying one of those capsule hotels)