Sex Education for a 6 yr old should be along the lines of stranger danger and learning that just because the creepy old fellow in the panel van offers you a bag of lollies or a gameboy YOU SHOULD NOT GET IN! (And yes I know that is stereotypical, but you get the picture).

At that age we tested our kids out... we sent a friend of a friend that they had never met to try to tempt the kids into the car with bribes. ONE of mine got in. He got RE-education!!! And he never forgot the experience either - because as he said the guy looked nice and normal and he wanted the gameboy....but when he realised what we had done and what HE had done he was shocked at how easy it could happen. Lesson learnt.

Stranger danger is all well and good but the thing is that a large percentage of sex offenders are often well known and trusted by the family. They are often in positions that bring them into direct contact with children. Kids need to be fully aware of what is inappropriate behavior by an adult and what to do if it happens.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Mantas in Japan it's just expected the schools will raise your kids. They do a fantastic job of churning out mindless automatons who never question authority and who never have an original idea in their whole lives, but at least they're well behaved!

99.9% of schools do, mine falls in the .01% category. Our kids rock. Yes, we do have a few problem kids, but kids will be kids. If I ever have kids Id send em to my school and there are prolly only 2 other schools in Kansai I would consider.

Originally Posted By: ger
Anyway, sex, drugs and alcohol sounds pretty good for consenting adults. Two out of three is the best I can do though.

Ger, I still dont get why you gave up sex - are you really a priest? confused

Stranger danger is all well and good but the thing is that a large percentage of sex offenders are often well known and trusted by the family. They are often in positions that bring them into direct contact with children. Kids need to be fully aware of what is inappropriate behavior by an adult and what to do if it happens.

$hit, my cover has been blown oops

"Britain has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the developed world. Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise among younger people, while binge drinking has been increasingly common for teenagers."

I think there are social and cultural reasons for the above, but a bit more education sounds worth a go to try and improve things. Hospitals full of teenagers having sprogs, getting tubes of cream for the clap, or their stomachs pumped are a waste of money.

Like I said before, I question the whole effectiveness of the education thing. We have what I would call 'education overload' here in this country, basically no subject is taboo, we are not as prudish as the English or as wholesome as Americans, yet the very same social problems that kids are being educated about keep increasing year after year. Obviously education is only a small part of the solution. If I was to be cynical, I'd say that our government spends huge amounts of money on tthese education programs just to be seen as pro-active.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
If I was to be cynical, I'd say that our government spends huge amounts of money on tthese education programs just to be seen as pro-active.

I have to agree. I think they might begin with all good intentions, but they are continued despite ineffectiveness.

Gotta say I was shocked at the promiscuity of the 14 yr old girls what were at my son's birthday last year. We had 100 kids in our yard - secured yard and with security on the gates, all bags were locked away at the entrance (to avoid alcohol being brought in) and all kids were asked/told about our zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol before entering (the consequences to call parents to collect them). There were some drunk kids, but we didn't lose any (which has happened at other parties), but the girls were ALL OVER the guys - and multiple 'hook ups' at that!!! These were girls who were playing with 'Barbie' and 'Ken' just a couple of years before!!!

In the face of this kind of environment and exposure I have educated my son's at home on how to live in thier world. There is SOME age appropriate sex education at thier school, but in the kids opinion they have never been taught anything they did not already know. Perhaps there were some in the class who learnt something new - these were the ones who were not as ready to learn - and it is appropriate that they learnt it at that age (slap - about time!). It is about openly talking to kids. It is about talking about more than the MECHANICS of sex or making rules about alcohol. We talk about WHY taking sex seriously is important - particularly for 'Mr just turned 15' who has girls falling at his feet.... For EG: I have talked to him about a 15 yr old girlfriend who might be gagging for it, who when you break up 3 weeks later (as happens at that age) can go crying to Mum and he ends up charged with Statutory Rape... protect thyself at all costs! And yes he does have condoms in his room and NO I have not chucked a hissy fit about it.

With regards to alcohol we have said that we will allow him to experience alcohol in controlled environments in controlled amounts around us while he us under age - but that we do not expect him to be drinking at parties away from home. We have expanded that now to 'we know you will probably have a drink or two, but if you appear drunk when we pick you up - that is the last party for a long while!'...so far so good. We have also taught him about alcohol intoxication and the dangers in judgement and physical effects for his friends. He has got stumbling very drunk mates home safely, and taken drinks out of the hands of very messy girls hands and told them to go home because they are making fools of themselves. School did not teach him how to deal with his environment, and I would not have been able to guide him in this either UNLESS he told me/shared with me what his environment was truly like.

It ONLY works when you are prepared to listen without judgement and provide guidence and guidelines to suit the situation. Absolute Authoratarian like rule will create rebels. Facts without context and strategies to deal with situations will not be helpful. Parents need to talk to thier kids - know where they are at - what is going on in thier lives and give them the tools to deal with it.

They also have to know that NO MATTER how bad it is - they can call you no matter what the time, and you will be there to help.

On this topic we have experienced a few things over the years.

One family friend I have never felt comfortable with - he is a mate of Papa's. No evidence of problems - the guy is probably totally straight up. BUT...I have an uneasyness - so I have NEVER left him alone with my kids.

Also had the same feeling with BIL's family (not BIL) but his brother and father. Never left the kids alone with them either - I have since found out that the father has abused ALL of his kids (male and female) and started on the grandkids. I was totally justified.

I certainly taught the kids that they wash thier own 'bits', that they are special bits that other people shouldn't touch.

As they have got older, when there were 'scares' about child molestors in the area, or news reports about other children being hurt we discussed those things in age appropriate ways with them openly and honestly. When it was a friend or family member who was accused we talked about how awful it was that a person the child trusted and loved could hurt them, and that it was very important that the childs Mummy or Daddy listened to them when the child told them! Reinforcing things they already knew about what is what.

But putting the fear of God into 5 year olds about sex, sex offenders and how everyone is a potential abuser somehow takes away thier innocence and childhood.

I'm sure it would.

My brother has a 12 year old son and I'm amazed at how much older his is than I was then. My friends and I was just so incredibly 'innocent' compared to him and his friends, and he's a good lad.

• 3 weeks later...