Just sitting here reading through the forums how everyone is hurting with the economical turmoil at the moment and how some people are being charged more for their trips.

My question is - How is this going to affect the resorts, bars local trade??? Yep sure we are all booked ready to come but with the dropping yen will we have money to spend once we get there??

I was hoping to get some lessons while I was there, shopping in Sapporo and of course eating out every night. THAT WON'T BE HAPPENING NOW. So I just wonder how other people are feeling??

At the end of the day, skiing is a bourgeois activity for most. 99% of the world's population will never get near a ski slope. So if you can't get the latest Louis Vuiton ski suit this season, don't worry too much. You're still pretty comfortable.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
At the end of the day, skiing is a bourgeois activity for most. 99% of the world's population will never get near a ski slope. So if you can't get the latest Louis Vuiton ski suit this season, don't worry too much. You're still pretty comfortable.

I saw Posh Spice in Meribel 2006, in a Chanel ski suit, with cropped ski jacket showing off her navel, with matching skis. They looked like they were made from leather as well!!
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

I saw Posh Spice in Meribel 2006, in a Chanel ski suit, with cropped ski jacket showing off her navel, with matching skis. They looked like they were made from leather as well!!

I thought she was a snowboarder. I bet you the suit is warm.

That's more than a little obnoxious. You have NFI what I do, or don't do, so I can afford to get to Japan to ski.

Comfortable?? Possibly, but the fact is that the cost of my January trip has escalated by around 40% since we booked the air tickets. All that we can do has been paid in AUD. However, the decline in value from 100 yen to around 65 yen to the AUD has inflated the cost of the remaining things (mainly accom and lift tix) beyond comprehension just 3 months ago.

New suit? had one of them 3 years ago. New skis? same!

I feel for the 99% that never get to a ski slope, but that doesn't mean I'm better off than they are, just means I have different priorities! Don;t have the latest clothes, the most recent car, the biggest TV etc, etc.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

I thought she was a snowboarder. I bet you the suit is warm.

her whole party was skiing, she was next in line to me in the queue for the gondola, kids and Posh Spice's dad (I assumed) went up in first gondola, she went up in 2nd gondola on her own, 2 beefy security guys went up in the 3rd with all the skis.

HERE HERE JA Thank you smile !!! I work really hard to get over to Japan. I am not talking about new suits or looking good I am talking about everyday spending money for while I am there Food - Beverages - a couple of souveniors (must buy a moss man this year).

I am even giving up my Melbourne Cup Day celebrations to put the money towards my trip now!!!

I am not complaining a ski trip in Japan is the ultimate thirll but some of us are going to be hurting this time. doh

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Quote:
with cropped ski jacket showing off her navel

These people really have their priorities right don't they....

TBH I'm surprised she didn't freeze to death cos that woman is paper thin!! omg

Our friends who had booked have cancelled - they are pretty 'comfortable' but the cost is just more than they can justify. 2nd group of friens.ds is still going - they are spending because it is thier holiday just as Thursday said.

For us....we are going (Europe) but our costs will have gone up signifigantly esp because all we have paid for is our flights and our deposit on accomodation. AND it is 5 weeks with 6 people!

Our tack has been to buy a wakecraft wake boat (just today) and holiday at home for a while to ride out the low dollar. Of course we will still snowboard once a year - but it might be in Aus where the dollar doesn't make any difference - for a while anyway.

One thing people can do to minimise their exposure to the currency conversion suffering, is to change money on the commercail market via a brokerage firm instead on using a bureau de change. They will get a much better rate, but will need to change several thousand dollars (in the UK its usually £5,000 min) Commission will be a small amount, possibly even a nominal flat rate fee.

Not everyone is planning to take or spend that kind of money, but it may help some people