• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I also really dont know what to do with my money now. I'm sending it back to UK, but as you say theres no benefit anymore. Im getting 2% interest but that ends this summer and Ill be on 0% interest.

I want to buy a house, but first I have to move back to UK and wait for (a) house prices to finish falling and (B) lenders to start lending again at reasonable rates (6.5% is not reasonable when bank rate is 0.5%). Im hoping that will happen 6-12 months from now but it is based on nothing more than hope.

Regarding buying a house in the UK, if you have no chain behind you as well as able to pay cash, I bet you could talk down the price of property in the UK right now quite easily.

When do 'they' say the market is going to be at it's lowest?

Well you need a huge deposit (about 25%) to get a loan anyway. That rules out a lot of first time buyers like me unless they are buying a bedsit in Inverness.

Ghetto landlord is an easy way to make money. Housing benefit is a great payer. Tenants might do damage, but if it costs you next to nothing in the first place, it doesn't matter so much. You can always hire a couple of heavies to keep people in line.

The only other houses worth buying at the moment are repo'ed ones. You've got to be on the spot and know the local market inside out though. More so than ordinary property even.

There's an interesting ad that "UK" is running now emphasising how cheap it is compared to usual due to the exchange rates.

'40% off everything! All the time!'

• 2 weeks later...

FTSE made a bit of a recovery after this G20 meeting. GBP is almost at 150 now.

I'm rooting for strong pound and high interest rates now 100% - but it ain't gonna happen!

Worst it has been since October for sending money home. Having said that still really good. Perhaps the party will soon be over.

I've been able to send near on 3.5 million since then and got an average rate of 146.50 on that lot. Reckon I've made about 8500 pounds on what I normally would have. Goes some way to make up on the pathetic interest rates.

Does anyone know about singapore dollar? it seems to have been fairly ok vs the yen, gone down about 10% over the last 6 months? much better than GBP etc.

Originally Posted By: rach
I wish I could have done that!

How's the Aussie $ doing?

As at now, the AUD will buy 69.4 Yen at Travelex online. Better by far than the miserable 56 we had to take when we were heading over in January!

I know a few people myself - including my best friend - who are wanting to come but just waiting now for that rate to go back their way. I bet a lot of people in that situation right now.

Was same on domestic QANTAS - Syd to Perth - Easter Sunday.

Not good news for the airlines, and after news on todays ABC online page - not good news for staff or for US as passengers in the future.

News Story - QANTAS CUTS JOBS

Will be same for other airlines if they are only half filling flights.

Same here paid in full, all done. groovy

Even if it goes a bit cheaper, I won't be too bothered as I got the dates I wanted and it was extremely cheap anyway. Won't look just to be sure I'm not bothered by it!