• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was back up to 140 last week, but under 130 now. I'm not a trader or anything, just someone who likes to take his kids to see nana and grandda, but I think its a new record.

Makes you want to start a side business importing stuff!

Originally Posted By: SKI
Quote:
so its cup noodles frm Lawson all round

Yum!

You been to Appi before? 16 days seems a long time there.

Late reply as was in Japan with no internet access. Was actually 10 day tickets which dont go far between four of us. Have been to Appi before and was there for 4 days until last Friday. Was with the kids but after 3 days without fresh snow I got rather bored, beautiful weather though and could actually see Iwate-san. Sadly I had to leave as it dumped 70 cm veryangry

Lawson at Appi was a let down; if you're there and need provisions get there early in the am as if you leave it late in the day you'll get nothing to eat (or rather its cup noodles only)

Yeah the Aussie Dollar is sucking hard right now. I hope it picks back up in the 5 weeks before I go but its not looking good!

I might buy some with my pay next week, and then more before I leave - spread betting!

Still, Japan is expensive as is - now its doubly as expensive (is doubly a word?)

Originally Posted By: Mattaus
Yeah the Aussie Dollar is sucking hard right now. I hope it picks back up in the 5 weeks before I go but its not looking good!

I might buy some with my pay next week, and then more before I leave - spread betting!

Still, Japan is expensive as is - now its doubly as expensive (is doubly a word?)

It wasn't really for Brits....but it is now!! lol

as they say in McDonalds.....I'm loving it!!

I'm still one month off (to the day!) from leaving Sunny Queensland for the cold of Hakuba, but tomorrow I'm going to go change some cash to Yen. Even though its at 60yen to the dollar I figure get some now, and then the rest before I leave. That way if it goes down further I have'nt been totally screwed over.

Thank god the way I've planned my trip I could take no money as still be right for the whole trip.

Of course I'm still hoping it picks up by then. Though I don't expect much.

My feeling is that 125 is about as good as it will get. Sure it may go down to 110 or so but that's a small % change compared to it going back to 250 again.

At the moment I am sending dough when I can. However, there is talk of deflation and GBP savings becoming worthless, which is worrying me.

I have been sending back as much as I possibly can every month now for 4 months. Will be doing same tomorrow when my salary gets put into the account.

UK savings becoming worthless is worrying. I'm glad I chose the 5 year bond rather than the 1 a year ago! Got 5.8% going up to near 8% on that.

The UK is said to be the worst positioned G8 country for a recession. I think its a combination of loads of debt, high reliance on the financial sector, freefalling currency, and little manufacturing/resources. For the pound, smaller movements now mean more in real terms. 126 is 10% less than 140. Its only been a month.

Sakakibara, the old "Mr Yen", said the BOJ won't move until 85 to the USD. Japanese exporters also repatriate money at this time of year for their year end in March, but that might be priced in already.

As an example of topsy-turvyness, the JET scheme salary of 300,000 a month is now nearly 30k in UK money. That's a lot more than the starting salary for a qualified UK teacher with a PGCE.