how long is a piece of string?

It would depend on what the original price of those items were, where you buy them and how old they are - not to mention the condition...

Should be a vast range of prices out there - I will leave a possible range for those who live in Japan ... and who know ski's (not my area sorry).

Second hand stuff in general has little value in Japan. Tracking down a pair of second hand skis could eat up valuable time. Where are you heading?  If you are in a resort ask a rental shop how much to buy a pair of skis from them. I had several clients do this last season.

Had a friend who bought a pair of carving skis from a rental shop for 10,000 yen. Intermediate level skis, about 3-4 years old.

It may be almost as cost effective to buy new. If your looking for intermediate skis large chain sports stores have really good deals. I am thinking of places like Alpen, Xebio, Sports Depot etc.

The big sports stores here in Sapporo certainly are offering some big discounts on last year's gear at the moment (especially Xebio), but I reckon second-hand is where the real action is. I haven't been looking at ski prices, but on Monday I got my wife a barely-used Arbor snowboard with bindings (50,000 yen new) for 3000 yen. I couldn't believe it. You can't hire a board for a day for that cheap! We also got a top condition board bag with all the trimmings for 900 yen. There were mid-range snowboard boots for 2000 and Burtons for 3000.

Top name boards and models were around the 15,000 to 20,000 mark, but there were loads of mid-range boards for 300-4000 yen. 300 yen! That's less than a beer! I'm sure it would be the same for ski gear. They don't bother stocking stuff that's smashed up. The best places to go are 2nd Street and Hard-Off. They're all over town, and easy to find through Google, complete with maps. Funky second hand clothes and boots too!

Yeah can be very difficult, I am size 12 or 30cm and I found boots in Victoria sports shop, they will even customize the shape of the boot for free to fit your foot properly, which is what I had done last year when I bought a new pair as my right foot is a little out of shape due to an accident I had years ago.

And prices are not expensive either.

Second hand gear is fine to buy, I bought some, but when it comes to boots you definately should buy new and make sure they fit perfect even if it means having them customized.

They will affect how you ski, get a poor fitting pair and your skiing will suffer.

• 3 weeks later...

hey nikolaaussie- im going to the same resort as you. I heard you can pick up some second hand ones really cheap over there. you might need to pick up some boots in aus to fit your feet but i say just wing it and see.