Got one of the Japanese ski mags yesterday and in it is a "top 20 ski area" in Japan list. And here it is!

1 Shiga Kogen

2 Naeba

3 Happo

4 Nozawa Onsen

5 Tsugaike Kogen

6 Niseko

7 Oze Iwakura

8 Appi Kogen

9 Meihou

10 Zao

11 Tanbara

12 Takasu Snow Park

13 Blanche Takayama

14 Hunter Mtn

15 Maiko Kogen

16 Rusutsu

17 Ski Jam Katsuyama

18 Goryu/47

19 Myoko Suginohara

20 Dynaland

Voted for by readers, apparently.

Hmmm.

so, appi seems to always get in the top ten... why is that when everyone who i have talked to would rather go to hachimantai or somewhere else? i haven't been there yet (so i can make my own decision) but i will this year since my season pass to geto will include appi too... i remember there being much more snow at geto last year than appi, most of the time better snow conditions too... confused.gif

they do have a park and halfpipe though, which geto is sorely lacking (fingers crossed and hoping like mad they will this year!!!!!)

You have to take into account who is voting.

Voters are not always hard core powder hounds and they are voting on a resort or area around the resort.

Also places like dynaland and takasu get in there just be sheer demographics, beening only an 1.5 hour drive from nagoya 3 from osaka. Hell of a lot of voters there.

We all know little gems that hold there own, I prefer that those beautities stay as they are if they can. Choice pow, great vibe.

Same mag (looks like), some more charts.

WITH "EXPERTS":

1 Happo

2 Shiga Kogen Yakebitaiyama

3 Nozawa

4 Urasa eek.gif eek.gif lol.gif

5 Hakkai-san

6 Tengendai Kogen

7 Teine Highland

8 Owani Onsen

9 Ontake

10 Kanazawa Seymour

FOR "FLYERS":

1 Ishiuchi Maruyama

2 Seki Onsen

3 Hakuba 47

4 Dynaland

5 Can't read it, but not a major place.

6 Aizu Kogen Nango (?)

7 Hunter Mountain

8 Okutadami Maruyama

FOR FAMILIES:

1 Tanbara

2 Tangram Ski Circus

3 Parada

4 Katashina Kogen

5 NASPA Ski Garden

6 Tsugaike Kogen

7 Blanche Takayama

8 Meihou

9 ??

10 Hachimantai Resort

FOR POWDER:

1 Hakkoda

2 Niseko Higashiyama

3 Hachimantai

4 ?? Ropeway

5 Seki Onsen

6 Arai

7 Shalman ??

8 Hakuba Iwatake

9 Tateyama ??

10 Tanigawa Onsen White Valley

FOR FACILITIES:

1 Arai

2 Naeba

3 Appi

4 Kiroro

5 Alts Bandai

6 Mount Reisui ??

7 Ski Jam Katsuyama

8 Echo Valley

9 Hakuba Goryu

10 Geihoku Kokusai

I never get why Naeba and Happo get so hyped up. I never went to either place last season, although I was in Happo village quite often. It was just the sheer masses of people swarming the place that drove me away, and by the stats that I have seen, the same is even truer of Naeba.

Who wants to dodge other skiers/riders all day long ? I don't get it.

anyone ?

The hype is just that, and often outdated as well.

In the case of Naeba, go on a weekday and out of holiday periods and you will have lots and lots and lots of space. Not that many people around, honest. If you can get it on one of those days, you will more likely than not really enjoy it.

I think the resorts are fibbing a bit with some of the official numbers they throw out...

Happo very big and very open. You dont dodge people until the end of the day. At the end of the day at any ski resort you dodge people cause there are only so many runs to the car parks. Lots of trees and only true open powder sking in hakuba open to the public. Happo gets moguls why?

cause they dont groom everything.

Great trees if you know where to look and the run off the peak isnt bad either. patrol arent half as bad as 47 and the price is so much better.

I dont think Ontake should make the list for experts the steepest run is 30degrees. The place sucks.

スキー&スノーボード

ゲレンデ案内

2004・全国版

1850 yen

don't get too excited, thats about the most exciting bit, it's just one of the main guidebooks

That book is no doubt published with the cooperation of every resort, so I think they've tried to get as many names in as possible.

Iwatake for powder is taking the piss.

No. 7 is Charmant Hiuchi. It's behind Arai and like Hachimantai has no ropes.

No fakie, Chaumont should be higher. Most japanese dont even know about the place though. Magazines have to pay the bills. So you always see Atomic skis rated high cause they pay the most money etc. The same applies to snowboards.

The North America top ten list is pretty bang on. Whistler, Vail, Tahoe, Utah and Jackson flip flopping all the time. You cant fake those results cause it is too clear which are the big resorts. That doesnt mean those places dont pump money into the mags though.

My top list for pow.

Cortina

Happo for open sking on pow days

47 goryu if you dont get caught

kawaba short but many BC possiblities in the area and outside.

Takasu for always having something to ski short hikes and inbounds.

Niseko chaumont and on reputation (never been)

Arai but I found it to be a fight.

Myoko great hiking and ob

Air no doubt takasu and dynaland. No other plase can you find the stuff maintained twice a day. huge or samll they dont slack off. Big pipes.

Happo for making kickers

47 but busy on the weekends and no super pipe.

Ontake has good jumps.

For taking care of you

Cortina 3500 yen gets you sking, fed and the biggest sento ive found in the area.

Happo hakuba town you have so many restaurants and shops whithin walking distance.

Goryu base again lots of choices near the base.

Myoko huge base area.

Takasu town nice cheap pensions.

Again just my list