I think it might have been mezamashi tv, but I tuned in just as they were finishing up a piece on "Niseko + Australians + endaka (expensive yen) = trouble". Missed most of it, anyone else see?

That was the subject of another thread here. Something about commodity prices, interest rates and other things I just don't get. (I'd post a link to the thread but I can't figure out how - it was called "Tanking Aussie Dollar" or something)

...or just stay at home, but it sounds like the Japanese government at least still wants us to come. A 40% discount on all goods and services, if you can produce an Aussie passport, sounds like a fine marketing idea to me.

Originally Posted By: keba
...or just stay at home, but it sounds like the Japanese government at least still wants us to come. A 40% discount on all goods and services, if you can produce an Aussie passport, sounds like a fine marketing idea to me.

You're from Aus right? Not Oz veryshocked

The reason why is that Australia is one of the most indebted countries in the world, and since the credit crisis started, the offshore funds have dried up. Also, commodity prices have crashed and demand has fallen significantly, so the productive sectors of Aussie aren't making much money.

Wait to the housing bubble crash kicks in. That's not going to be pretty.

Hi talked all my friends into coming to Niseko with us next year and now the yen has plummeted I am not the most popular person. They are talking that in February next year the dollar will be $1 = 52Yen. I may be bringing my own vegemite and crackers to eat while I am there!!!

I hope it will be a good season to make up for everything else.

• SnowJapan Admin

Regular meetings to hear about the latest activities and numbers associated with the Yokoso Japan campaign and foreign tourism in general followed by discussions about those and other related issues. Pretty much all of the top JNTO guys attend, it's a good chance to talk directly with them and get ideas and comments across.