Do you still listen to albums?

Read so many times in interviews now that people nowadays grandpa are not listening to albums but just downloading certain tracks and listening to music that way.

I must be way old fashioned grandpa I love listening to full albums (when they're good of course) and think it's really sad that the people in the business are saying the album might be on it's way out.

:(

Never listen to a whole album now, with all my music on iTunes I usually put it on Shuffle and just listen to what comes up. I have also made up some playlists if I am in the mood for a certain kind of music but its never just 1 album straight.

Interesting one that. I went through a period of shuffle, but I missed those albums. And while I still love my vPodII, like gifugill says the sound just isn't the same. So when I have a choice, it's always an original CD album.

It's a shame, but these days I find that an "album', as a collection of songs with some flow of concept or cohesive theme, is a bit rare these days, and mostly what you get is a few hit singles, with some padding added to fill the disc space. A concession, maybe, to the iPod generation, or more likely, just lazy artists and record companies who are more interested in sales than art.

ha ha I have still got a bunch of vinyl albums that i listen to now and again.

but in the car and mp3 player i listen to collections/genres as well as albums.. depends on me mood, maties..

How about some of these? Just put together in less than 5 minutes. UK-leanings aside, I think these are some fine albums for a start.

The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses

The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

The Verve – A Northern Soul

David Bowie – Hunky Dory

The Smiths – Strangeways Here We Come

Coldplay - Parachutes

Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible

Echo And The Bunnymen – Ocean Rain

Prodigy – Music For A Jilted Generation

Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory

Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love

The Cure – The Head On The Door

The Human League – Dare

Muse – Absolution

Super Furry Animals – Radiator

New Order – Technique

The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow

Massive Attack – Blue Lines

Oasis – Definitely Maybe

Radiohead – OK Computer

For me at the moment, it's "A Grand Don't Come for Free" by The Streets, Kanye West's "Graduation", Pink Floyd's "Wish You were Here", and Volume 1 of the Bruce Springsteen live album from 1986 in the car, and at home it's The Propellorheads, Outcast's "Love Below" and Moby "Play", plus a lot of Wiggles (my eldest son is 2).

How's my taste?

Well I wasn't being particularly serious about it for a start and I sure wasn't critisising your particular music tastes. I recall I put one of these dudes wink in my post.

Simply pointing out that I like albums and lots of the ones I listen to are not full of 4 hit singles + filler.

All good albums, Scouser, but how many of those were released in the last couple of years? We all have collections of great albums from the past, but I reckon they're pretty thin on the ground today.

Anyone?

Originally Posted By: scouser
How about some of these? Just put together in less than 5 minutes. UK-leanings aside, I think these are some fine albums for a start.

The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead
The Verve – A Northern Soul
David Bowie – Hunky Dory
The Smiths – Strangeways Here We Come
Coldplay - Parachutes
Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible
Echo And The Bunnymen – Ocean Rain
Prodigy – Music For A Jilted Generation
Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory
Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love
The Cure – The Head On The Door
The Human League – Dare
Muse – Absolution
Super Furry Animals – Radiator
New Order – Technique
The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow
Massive Attack – Blue Lines
Oasis – Definitely Maybe
Radiohead – OK Computer

I've got the Oasis ones and that's it.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Dun like yank stuff?

What bands do you like from America Thurs?

I often think that American bands are too "thrash guitar" for me. Of course I like some American bands but in general I prefer Brit bands. Prob just what you're brought up with

Good to hear I am not the only one still liking albums though.

Interesting point there Thursday. I looked through my collection and it is probably 80% brit. Not a conscious decision. What about people from the US, Australia etc?

I never make a conscious decision on my music based on where it comes from.

I like anything from wherever..

having said that my favourite band/group is everything but the girl..

Got a steadily growing collection of vinyl. But thats part of the game as a DJ. I enjoy spinning vinyl over cdj's as its a better quality of sound, and the roots of becoming a good DJ, but the organizing and labeling (BPM) is a chore besides the space needed to store all the albums.

Thats where I favor my CDJ's Compact, digital tagging / organizing to my liking for easy accessablity.

I try to spend more time on vinyl as I see it more difficult to mix with, though I am still in the learning curve, from what I learned on records seems to make my digital mixing alot easier.