Bears - do not go out at night!

Last year I remember the fuss being made round these parts about bears coming out evening time to terrorise the locals. Well, it seems it is happening again and they are getting bolder too.

Got a flyer pushed through my letter box last night advising us "not to go out at night" which seems rather ott.

Any bears where you are?

Haven't seen any bears in the city up here, or even in the wilds for that matter. I've seen foxes and deer all over the place though. I'm just glad there aren't any wild monkeys in Hokkaido!

I did see a bear in Whistler during August once.

I know bears get into the trash and the garden and mess things up, but I haven't heard of a man-versus-bear incident in Japan recently.

Monkeys, on the other hand, do attack people on a regular basis.

Weird that you started this thread Muika, I was wondering about this yesterday and was gonna ask any SJers who live in or around the mountains if they have any trouble with bears......so...um....do you?

How big are these bears anyway?

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Weird that you started this thread Muika, I was wondering about this yesterday and was gonna ask any SJers who live in or around the mountains if they have any trouble with bears......so...um....do you?

How big are these bears anyway?

I've seen some pretty big ones in captivity. Supposedly they get to be almost 2M long and around 100kg, but that size is probably fairly rare in the wild. Have a look here for some more info.