Anyone into Bluray discs?

Japan is the same region code for Bluray as the US, but I heard that lots of discs in other regions aren't coded and work on any player. Would be good to hear any first hand experience anyone has with them.

Damn those region codes.

Problem I see with Blu-Ray is, that the quantum leap in picture/sound quality moving from VHS to DVD was a lot more than one can expect now from an upgrade to Blu-Ray, and to get the best picture means not just upgrading the player, but also getting a 1080p television as well. Also, the increase in downloadable content will probably have the same effect on video as it has on CD sales.

Can get them a bit cheaper right now there's a new model coming out with more HDD space last day of the month. 32800 yen in the local shop at the weekend they were. The new one will be back to nearer 40,000.

I got mine just before the price drop, but it's the last production run of the "backward compatible" 80GB ones. The new inexpensive ones won't play your old PS and PS2 games - they took those bits out.

The last 60's weren't, but the 80's were. I think the last B/C ones were sold bundled with "Metal Gear Solid 4" outside Japan. The new ones that are sold as "80GB core system" are not B/C. Getting that allowed me to clear out a lot of old hardware.

Internet download content, Save all the cash and flash for something more valuable.

I myself cant see having tons of disc laying around as I watch something and then have no interest in it after I have seen it. Download / watch / delete from HDD / repeat process. Cost is the price of my ISP per month. Also with the delay of titles from western countries on disc is a issue. I can get the latest titles usually the same day they are released.

Also BR movies can be found on the net and can be played on most modern computers as BR movies take quite a bit of processing power from a computer. Size of files are huge also, so Lots of HDD space is needed. Computers can be used as region free players also.

But I am content with XVID and Divx versions of movies which can range at 700mb. Picture and audio quality is perfect enough for me.

If you do need a BR player, the PS3 is the way to go as of now. The local Hard-off places have them at a reasonable price but I think they are region coded and wont play discs that are not region free. I.E. Japan PS3 with other country's BR movies.

TBH Muika, I couldn't care less about the legality of it. Its there and I can watch it hassle free. I prefer having DVD's though than just watching online, but when it comes to music I am the opposite. Can't remember the last time I exchanged currency for a music CD

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Not in the least bit bothered by the legality of it all then Frank?

wink

Actually the legality of downloading stuff is debatable and different in different countries.

Personally I couldn't care less about the poor multi millionaires loosing a few yen from a movie I downloaded.

I download mp3s too but I would prefer a vinyl LP anyday...

How about the many thousands of honest people who also work on those projects and earn an 'average' work? Don't care about them either?

There are ways to get the titles you want both legally and not so legal.

Main point stated was that DL media far outweighs having the physical disc in my opinion, which differs from person to person.

For example, I would rather watch season 4 of Prison break on a weekly basis now then to have to wait for seaon 3 to be released here and another year before season 4 is released.

The fact is that the internet is mainstream around the world, and media can be transferred faster than that of having the physical media (disc). This also cuts down on waste which is better for the enviroment.