• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
"hibernation"/"couch potato" routine without some kind of motivation.

I've been somewhere in that slump for the last month or so, just about starting to come out of it as I realise I need to get fitter.

If I was preping for the season again (my NZ season is just finishing) I would

Eat lots of Calcium

Lift some weights to increase bone density

Have my bindings checked by a professional

Do good things to get Karma levels up

As I didnt do these things I now have had 8 weeks on crutches and today found out I have at least 4 more to look forward to perhaps more. I am going insane! (more literally than you think I mean)

• 2 weeks later...

DON'T OVER DO IT!!!! eyes I have been going along really well with the fitness and strength improving so each week I pushed a little more and a little more.

RESULTS - 2 swollen knees and a lot of pain and now can't lift one of my arms above my head incredible pain in shoulder.

Not happy about having to go back to small jogs and walking. angry

crossfit dot com

By far, one of the most badassss workouts I have ever done. I have incorporated those into my workout regime. Do it 2xs/week right now and it will kick your ass up and down the street. I race Div 1 in the states and have gone through some hellacious workouts, but these by far will make beg for mercy.

I really like the burpies (sp?) Try doing 20 of those without stopping. Check the net for loads of workouts. Most you dont even need a gym.

ganbare!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it really that hard?

I've never been snowboarding but I will be for the first time in 3 months (Hakuba) My brother struggled when he went last year and reckons situps are the go but he sits on his arse playing WoW all day....

I play rugby league (Train twice a week and a game on Saturdays) and indoor soccer, then do weights at the gym the other 2 nights of the week (with sat night my party night and sunday's for relaxing).

Will I struggle? Is there anything I should be doing? I don't want to get out there first day, and spend the next day recovering! I have 10 days I intend on taking maximum advantage of...

I had held my snow legs pretty well with weight training after returning home from last trip in July - but then I got sick. Nasty flu.

I went wakeboarding yesterday and today I feel like I smashed into a brick wall - all the same muscles are screaming as the first time I went snowboarding. So I am resolved to make sure we get to the water park at least twice a week from now until Christmas as well as general daily fitness stuff - no matter how busy we get. I am well over feeling trashed on the snow - I much more enjoy feeling pushed and tired but not hurting!

Matt - until you build up the fitness in the right area's and the right technique (like not crashing hard all the time!) yes it can be a bit tough...drown the pain in beer.

If your technique is right, it's more cardiovascular fitness than specific muscle training that's important, IMHO.

You sound like you have a good level of fitness, Mattaus, so you should be OK. The falls on your arse will be the biggest pain, probably. For those of us that have embraced a sedentary lifestyle, however, prep is the key. Last trip to Hakuba I failed to do any exercise beforehand, and suffered terribly on the longer runs.

Originally Posted By: Mattaus
Might have to get into the squats more lol.

Meh, whatever happens happens. The waits the real killer!

dude, the onsen is your friend....soak in that after a day on slopes and watch (some) of your aches and pains ebb away!! I'm (slightly wink ) overweight and I can handle it, you sound more active than me so you should be fine. One thing though, you will feel pain in muscles you didn't know you had by the end of the first day BUT unless you are sore all over, then you haven't riden hard enough!! Enjoy!! smile

The older I get, the more I realise that the muscles need a "tune up" just like a car. I am into a regime of home gym workouts twice a week, with plenty of walking (and lots of hill work) between.

Other than that, I have put 60 years of effort into getting to the shape/fitness level I am now at. Why ruin it by exercising?