Well, the epicenter!

Today there were sunny skies early on and so we took a drive aroun Sumon, Yamakoshi and Kawaguchi - those places in Niigata that where the most shook up in the Chuetsu earthquake of 4 years ago (23rd Oct 04). I have posted photos of the area before and it really is a very pretty and remote area, but this time my friend and I were determined to try to find the actual 震央 (epicenter) place of the earthquake - it has been bugging me for ages as no-one seemed to know exactly where it was.

I knew it was in the middle of nowhere just to the east of Kawaguchi-machi as I remember a local new story where they showed it as being in the middle of a rice field and the farmer who owned it. It sure was too. After stopping and asking a few ojisans along the way, and getting lost more than once, we eventually got on what they now call "shinou road" and a bit later found a small sign that basically said "Epicenter This Way". So we parked the car and walked down into a small valley that had a few rice fields. Found!

That earthquake really affected me and friends pretty bad and so it was a strange feeling standing right on top of it and brought back a lot of memories.

Here's a few photos I've just uppped to SJ

---

This is where it really really shook! A rice field, in the middle of nowhere (about 10 minutes drive from the centre of Kawaguchi town). That stick shows you where the epicenter was.

muikabochi_839.JPG

This is a replica of the original (you can just about see the original in the background)

muikabochi_840.JPG

muikabochi_838.JPG

muikabochi_837.JPG

Thanks stemik (and others!)

I plan to take lots and upload them here again this year.

I hadn't used my camera for a while actually and I really enjoyed getting it out again and having fun. Really need to get back into the habit and certainly intend to.

Hope to see some of yours too stemik - no excuse now with a nice new shiny D80. wink

Sorry didn't explain. Check out the map on one of the photos above - basically you need to get behind Kawaguchi.... to the east of the town central area / route 17. You can get to it either side of the town but I recommend the road to the north of the town. PM me if you want more details and I'll try to explain more!

Feel much more at ease now.... though the slightest wobble now and the heart goes racing again. It seems that once you've experienced a big one, those small ones take on a whole different meaning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...