Hi there, Heading to Shiga Kogen in Feb 09 for first time and we may only take our boots not skis/boards..Looking for some insider knowledge of gear hire for quality skis and snowboards. We'll be there for just over a week. We hired stuff in Niseko this year but just checking whether we should pre-book etc. Staying at Sunroute in Ichinose. Any help appreciated, cheers

I'd doubt they have anything very good. Stayed at that hotel a few years ago; comfortable enough but nothing special and I don't recall seeing any rental shop. They'll certainly have stuff, but probably older, beat-up & low intermediate level at best.

I'll be staying at the Sunroute from 11 jan. My understanding is that they do have a ski hire shop, however I haven't been able to find out what the quality's like. I believe there are plenty of other hire shops in the Ichinose area, so we may have other options.

Cheers - Snowy

We stayed at Sunroute in Dec 07 and used the hotels gear.

Ski shop is very basic (basically a garage) - I'd suggest going down the road to the bottom of Prince Hotel (where the gondola is) - had much better gear (i.e. powder specific ski and snowboards).

We went midweek and no one was in the hotel except us, so felt a little sorry for the very kind owner/staff who made us really welcome. We had a great few days (i'll try and attach a photo from room - we arrive late one afternoon, could see road and not much snow, massive dump at night and this is the result in the next morning - we basically grabbed the equipment and skied down on the road which had a foot of fresh stuff to the gondola about 600m down the road)

Ended up with 06 Atomic GS Race skis - fine for Australia, not so good in Japan (although lack of powder technique may have more to do with it). Boots just fit 28.5 largest size - very Retro 80s 1 buckle job. No snowboards over 158. Basically if you want to explore more than the groomers get gear elsewhere.

Would love to know if anyone knows same about places in NO. We are heading back in late Feb 09 - love Japan skiing. Enjoy Sunroute and Shiga. IMG_0825.JPG